PLEASE help me connect to the internet, it says im connected but im not

rolledthatho

Solid State Member
well basically like the title says, my computer crashed i reloaded windows XP and i dont have the disk/driver for my wirless card, but i looked up the model and went and downloaded it from the website its a GN-WP01GS so i downloaded it from here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Communication/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=970

now that i installed it the my wireless card icon in the icon tray no longer has a red X over it and its green and running, also the red X over the two little icon computers (network) went away and it popped up saying signal strength very good, 54 MB or whatever, yet NOTHING when i click on a webpage it immediatly says connect or work offline

thanks for any help

well did you type in the network settings, ie: the wireless password?
you cant just install some drivers after reinstalling xp and magically connect to a network.
try and double click the wireless icon, find your network, then just connect to it with the right password

you cant just install some drivers after reinstalling xp and magically connect to a network.
try and double click the wireless icon, find your network, then just connect to it with the right password

its only me and one other guy who live here, we dont even know of a wireless password, its an unsecured network why would i need a password, i used to could get internet from my neighbor that was unsecured and all i did was click on the connection and it loaded with no password, are you referring to secured networks. if not (and you dont mind breaking it down for me, because im comp illiterate) then that would be awesome, where is network settings or where is the promt to enter a password?

now that i installed it the my wireless card icon in the icon tray no longer has a red X over it and its green and running, also the red X over the two little icon computers (network) went away and it popped up saying signal strength very good, 54 MB or whatever,

If the red x went away over the little icon computers (network) then the wireless card is properly working and is reading/getting a signal from the Access Point from your router or whereever your connecting too.

yet NOTHING when i click on a webpage it immediatly says connect or work offline

What happens when you click connect? Also, open your web browser and make sure 'work offline is NOT checked.

Now if your unable to surf the net/view webpages and their is NO security enabled for this wireless network then it should be pretty much plug and play. Do you have any firewalls in place? Perhaps, norton, zone alarm, mcafee, etc... if so, disable/turn off your firewall then attempt to connect to the net to surf the web.

See your connecting to your router or your access point cause your getting a signal from it if you didnt it would have a red X. If I was you i would open command command prompt for XP and issue an ipconfig /all then try to ping a website to make sure your getting out in the net

for example ping www.yahoo.com it will resolve the domanin name to the ip address and will send 4 packets from your machine to yahoo.com if 100% packet is loss then theirs the promblem. If yahoo recieves all the packets then your reaching the net and we can trouble shoot more from their.

If this network was secured or required him to enter a password or key he wouldnt even be able to connect to the wireless network in the first place. ;)

Hope this helps.

If the red x went away over the little icon computers (network) then the wireless card is properly working and is reading/getting a signal from the Access Point from your router or whereever your connecting too.

What happens when you click connect? Also, open your web browser and make sure 'work offline is NOT checked.

Now if your unable to surf the net/view webpages and their is NO security enabled for this wireless network then it should be pretty much plug and play. Do you have any firewalls in place? Perhaps, norton, zone alarm, mcafee, etc... if so, disable/turn off your firewall then attempt to connect to the net to surf the web.

See your connecting to your router or your access point cause your getting a signal from it if you didnt it would have a red X. If I was you i would open command command prompt for XP and issue an ipconfig /all then try to ping a website to make sure your getting out in the net

for example ping www.yahoo.com it will resolve the domanin name to the ip address and will send 4 packets from your machine to yahoo.com if 100% packet is loss then theirs the promblem. If yahoo recieves all the packets then your reaching the net and we can trouble shoot more from their.

If this network was secured or required him to enter a password or key he wouldnt even be able to connect to the wireless network in the first place. ;)

Hope this helps.

He cant ping the router as its not his, he says he connects to is neighbours wireless, so what's happening is his wifi is picking up the network but not connecting, Does it say limited or no connectivity by any chance? If so it will be a security enabled network that requires a key and password or you dhcp may be wrong, If you had the router you could try this.

Press Start >> Run >> enter "cmd" and press ok, once you got the black terminal enter "ipconfig". If the IP adress says somthing with 169.*.*.* then you don't get a IP from your router via DHCP and either have to configure the router or set up an IP manually. If it says at IP 198.168.*.* then you have either a static ip set or you DHCP is working. The important thing here is the entry "Default Gateway" it has to be the IP Adress of your Router in order for the Internet to work. With the routers dhcp this entry should have been made.
Go into Network Connections >> right click "Local Area Connection" then hit Properties and double click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP ). To set a static ip do the following (assuming that you router is using the standard IP 192.168.0.1) IP Address: 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 Prefered DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 >> Hit Ok

He cant ping the router as its not his,

If hes getting a signal from the router/access point *he will* be able to ping the router because the DHCP server inside the router is giving him a valid IP address to connect to the wireless network. It don't matter if the routers his or joe blows he's getting a signal from the AP/router. Hes' getting connected to the router and the wireless network hence the

saying signal strength very good, 54 MB

now,

so what's happening is his wifi is picking up the network but not connecting, Does it say limited or no connectivity by any chance?

No, it doesnt state *limited or no connectivity*. Again, it is connecting to the network because if he wasnt connecting to the network it wouldnt state signal strength very good, @ 54 MB it would say limited or no connectivity. ;)

Cheers,
0x0161

PS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He cant ping the router as its not his, he says he connects to is neighbours wireless, so what's happening is his wifi is picking up the network but not connecting, Does it say limited or no connectivity by any chance? If so it will be a security enabled network that requires a key and password or you dhcp may be wrong, If you had the router you could try this.
blackjack. ;)

Im baffled here, if he is connected at the 54mb as he states, then it must be a firewall issue or web filter program, possibly in his browser.

Im baffled here, if he is connected at the 54mb as he states, then it must be a firewall issue

More than likely it is a firewall/security software preventing him from actually displaying web pages.

Why do you think I speifically asked him
Do you have any firewalls in place? Perhaps, norton, zone alarm, mcafee, etc... if so, disable/turn off your firewall then attempt to connect to the net to surf the web.

I used to work for Sony Technical support this was a common issue with their clients/customers wireless notebooks the sony vaios because it came with by default a 90 day trial period of nortons internet security, everyone could get connected however they couldnt view webpages, simple solution was to disable nortons internet security and bam they are right online surfing the net.

web filter program, possibly in his browser.

??? I want what your smoking dude. ;)

More than likely it is a firewall/security software preventing him from actually displaying web pages.

Why do you think I speifically asked him

I used to work for Sony Technical support this was a common issue with their clients/customers wireless notebooks the sony vaios because it came with by default a 90 day trial period of nortons internet security, everyone could get connected however they couldnt view webpages, simple solution was to disable nortons internet security and bam they are right online surfing the net.

??? I want what your smoking dude. ;)

??? I want what your smoking dude. ????:rolleyes: I was referring to something like peer guardian or a contents setting in IE or Firefox, but as you are clearly an expert Il leave you to it. I was only trying to help with a solution.

??? I want what your smoking dude. ????

When I typed that dude I was only joking don't take it personal. I was being sarcastic didnt mean anything by it.

I was referring to something like peer guardian or a contents setting in IE or Firefox,

Yea I know what you were referring to when you said web filter program. I just didn't understand where you got that from when the guy stated in his original thread
its only me and one other guy who live here

I don't think they would filter/block certain sites from themselves. lol ;)

but as you are clearly an expert Il leave you to it. .

Dude you info to share please share it, it's what this forum is here for to learn, share knowledge and information with one another btw, I don't specialize in this field of computing dude, it's only a 'hobby' for me, however, with dealing with home users or business users I have more experience than the *average joe* ONLY because I training and I did it for so long for a living for over 6 years doesnt mean i am a expert in it by any means.

I was only trying to help with a solution

Likewise dude. Future reference if I state anything on this board to you or anyone else for that matter don't take it personal.

Later,
0x0161

Back
Top Bottom