installing Ubutu

blackjack

Fully Optimized
I have a FAT32 logical partition "G"(was primary NTFS but I converted it to FAT32 logical) which I want to install Ubuntu on and dual boot with my XP home installation on "F" drive, does Ubuntu recreate more paritions inside the logical or do I need to do it myself, I don't want to mess up my XP instalation if it goes tits up, I have read this here http://tldp.org/LDP/LG/current/jayanth2.html but cant quite get my head round it so can someone please break it down a bit so I can follow there instructions, I DO NOT WANT TO MESS UP THE MBR, this is why I need help by people that are already running XP and linux.

P.S "G" is a partitioned from "F"

The proper name of the OS is Ubuntu. You will have to install Windows first and after that Ubuntu, and when you finished the installation of Ubuntu GRUB (a small program that boots and handles witch OS too boot from - it is installed automatically by Ubuntu) will prompt or if the two partitions are on different HDDs you will have to change the HDD from witch the PC boots.

And next time, when you try to find a guide for Ubuntu, don`t search for the general keyword "Linux" because Ubuntu is not the whole Linux, Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux, more precisely of Debian. And also don`t forget to place in the keywords the version of Ubuntu and the architecture of your PC when searching for help.

P.S.: I can give you assistance through MSN Messenger if you are polite enough

The proper name of the OS is Ubuntu. You will have to install Windows first and after that Ubuntu, and when you finished the installation of Ubuntu GRUB (a small program that boots and handles witch OS too boot from - it is installed automatically by Ubuntu) will prompt or if the two partitions are on different HDDs you will have to change the HDD from witch the PC boots.

And next time, when you try to find a guide for Ubuntu, don`t search for the general keyword "Linux" because Ubuntu is not the whole Linux, Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux, more precisely of Debian. And also don`t forget to place in the keywords the version of Ubuntu and the architecture of your PC when searching for help.

P.S.: I can give you assistance through MSN Messenger if you are polite enough
Thank you for you explanation, do I need to have three logical partitions, 1 ROOT (3G aprox ) 2 SWAP (256mb aprox) 3 HOME whatevers left in this case about 36G,
Does the linux boot loader get installed on the Root Partition? If you think the partition amounts are wrong and have a better guide line then please guide me.
I am concerned with this statement from the link in post 1 "Step 8. When installing Linux, its best that LiLo (the boot loader) is installed to the root superblock (boot sector equivalent) of the Linux partition, not the Master Boot Record (MBR). You can let the setup modify the MBR, but if you reinstall Windows, Linux will be rendered inaccessible. Don’t forget to create a boot diskette!"

"P.S.: I can give you assistance through MSN Messenger if you are polite enough" Hmmm what am I supposed to make of that:rolleyes:

Well, things are not going well on the Ubuntu front, I tried it out and failed, I partitioned my partition drive V to give me 3 drives V, X & Y, X being the root and Y being the swap and V being the spare space(home), put in the Ubuntu cd, and it loads up, I select install and the round install sign comes on and I get the orange loading bar for abut a min then WAM, black screen comes up with this.
"Busy box v1.1.3(debain 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) built n (asp) Enter help bla bla bla"
/bin/sh: cant access hy; job control turned off (initramfs)

so I type in help and get this lot

:alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec exit exsport false fg getpots hash hlp jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set shifttimes trap true unlimit umask unalias unset wait [ [ [ ash base name busy box catchmod chroot chvt clear cmp cp cut deal locvt dumpkmap eco egrep nv expr false fbset fdflush fgrep grep host name ifconfig ip kill in loadfont loadmap is mkdir mkfifo mknod mkswap mktemp more mount mv openvt print f ps pwd readlink reset rm rmdir sed set keycodes sh sleepsort stat sync tail tee tosh tuch tr true lty umount uname uniq yes.

W.T.F.:eek: Is all that about? I delete the partitions so I only have "V" empty and try to boot into ubuntu again to try and run the trial through the disc which I have done in the past but WAM same thing again, what is going on, my XP is fine but I cant load the Ubuntu installer anymore.

...You will have to install Windows first and after that Ubuntu...
That isn't entirely true. You can install any OS first. In this case you have Windows already installed. So the logical thing would be to install Ubuntu second. But I had Ubuntu, on a computer for a while, then I needed to install windows for a class, so I installed that second and it worked fine.

As for your question in the first post . You don't need to create any more partitions. What Linux needs in order to run is a main partition in which it installs all its data. Also it will set up a swap partition this isn't something that you have to worry about. All a swap partition does is act as memory.

If I was you and not exactly sure how all of this works, I would follow the install wizard, and let it setup the partitions itself. When you get to the step were it asks you if you want to use the: whole hdd, remove linux partitions or use free space, choose to use free space. Then let the wizard set up the partition. If you need help with installing Ubuntu, then look at this tutorial: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69816

Cheers!

That isn't entirely true. You can install any OS first. In this case you have Windows already installed. So the logical thing would be to install Ubuntu second. But I had Ubuntu, on a computer for a while, then I needed to install windows for a class, so I installed that second and it worked fine.

As for your question in the first post . You don't need to create any more partitions. What Linux needs in order to run is a main partition in which it installs all its data. Also it will set up a swap partition this isn't something that you have to worry about. All a swap partition does is act as memory.

If I was you and not exactly sure how all of this works, I would follow the install wizard, and let it setup the partitions itself. When you get to the step were it asks you if you want to use the: whole hdd, remove linux partitions or use free space, choose to use free space. Then let the wizard set up the partition. If you need help with installing Ubuntu, then look at this tutorial: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69816

Cheers!

I cant even run the CD properly now, I get to the run/ install page and select install and it starts to loading with the bar then WAM I get. /BIN/SH: cant access tty job control turned off (initramfs), I have previously used this CD on tree occasions fine but now I cant?, the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with trying Vista or trying WUBI but I have ghosted my HDD back since then as my Vista dual boot went tits up, Vista worked fine but it kept telling me my windows xp (Microsoft earlier addition) was corrupt so I restored my XP from a back up image and formatted the Vista partition to clear it.

When you put the cd in and boot from it run the verifying test. Just to make sure that everything is fine on the cd. Also can you write down the error and post it for us.

Cheers!

this is the error I get "Busy box v1.1.3(debain 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) built n (asp) Enter help
/bin/sh: cant access hy; job control turned off (initramfs)

if you then type in help you get this lot

:alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec exit exsport false fg getpots hash hlp jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set shifttimes trap true unlimit umask unalias unset wait [ [ [ ash base name busy box catchmod chroot chvt clear cmp cp cut deal locvt dumpkmap eco egrep nv expr false fbset fdflush fgrep grep host name ifconfig ip kill in loadfont loadmap is mkdir mkfifo mknod mkswap mktemp more mount mv openvt print f ps pwd readlink reset rm rmdir sed set keycodes sh sleepsort stat sync tail tee tosh tuch tr true lty umount uname uniq yes.

Blackjack, try running the verify on the install disk. Just to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with it. Busy Box is a smaller version of shell, which is a terminal. All of the things like cd, alias, bd, chdir, are commands.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom