What's good system setup for recording?

DUDE MAN

In Runtime
Hi,

Can you guys tell me what would be a decent setup for recording?

Here's what I currently have:

-6-7 years old computer running Windows XP professional SP2
-2.2Ghz Athlon AMD single processor
-2G Corsair RAM

Programs I'm running:

-Pro Tools Le 7
-Plugins:
-Reason
-Spectrasonics
-Native Instruments
-Waves

I usually use about 10-80 plug-ins depending on what the song calls for. With these amount of plugins it's giving me delays most of the times. I just recently upgraded my RAM to 2G but see no improvement. Do I need a new processor? What kind of processor or RAM or amount of RAM would be ideal for recording with this much plug-ins. Also, I hope to increase more plug-ins in the future because I do mostly pop and electronic music.

Thanks for all inputs.:D

Hi,

Can you guys tell me what would be a decent setup for recording?

Here's what I currently have:

-6-7 years old computer running Windows XP professional SP2
-2.2Ghz Athlon AMD single processor
-2G Corsair RAM

Programs I'm running:

-Pro Tools Le 7
-Plugins:
-Reason
-Spectrasonics
-Native Instruments
-Waves

I usually use about 10-80 plug-ins depending on what the song calls for. With these amount of plugins it's giving me delays most of the times. I just recently upgraded my RAM to 2G but see no improvement. Do I need a new processor? What kind of processor or RAM or amount of RAM would be ideal for recording with this much plug-ins. Also, I hope to increase more plug-ins in the future because I do mostly pop and electronic music.

Thanks for all inputs.:D

80 plugin's is sure alot, it will be very processor taxing.

Are you using professional grade sound cards? Some cards will also let you do hardware effects, which can be really nice.

80 plugin's is sure alot, it will be very processor taxing.

Are you using professional grade sound cards? Some cards will also let you do hardware effects, which can be really nice.

Oh, I forgot to include that. I use the Digi002R.:D

Hey DJ-Chris,

I assume you are a DJ? What's your recording setup like?:D

I dabble a bit with music.

I'd upgrade to a dual core processor system at least cause your working with a lot of plug-ins.

Like the sound card/interface you've got!

I'll be using the Creative XFI-PL-FAT - Soundblaster X-FI Platinum - Fatal1ty Champion Series It's got MIDI and is a pretty hot sound card.

So upgrade to dual core CPU at least and hi spec hi speed RAM.:)

Also most new Motherboards have decent RAID controllers so you can have a RAID 1 array set up for the work you want to protect.

Oh, I forgot to include that. I use the Digi002R.:D

Hey DJ-Chris,

I assume you are a DJ? What's your recording setup like?:D

=Yeah I'm a DJ, I have an EMU1212M in my vista rig (that doesn't like me), and on my older XP rig I have an Audiophile 2496. Recording audio wise, audacity, and if I want to try my hand at a bit of remixing or production it's Ableton live.

I'll be using the Creative XFI-PL-FAT - Soundblaster X-FI Platinum - Fatal1ty Champion Series It's got MIDI and is a pretty hot sound card.

The X-FI's are a consumer sound card, and are not meant for recording / production.

Dudeman, im guessing by recording, you record bands or something? Quite complex sound interface.

=Yeah I'm a DJ, I have an EMU1212M in my vista rig (that doesn't like me), and on my older XP rig I have an Audiophile 2496. Recording audio wise, audacity, and if I want to try my hand at a bit of remixing or production it's Ableton live.

The X-FI's are a consumer sound card, and are not meant for recording / production.

Dudeman, im guessing by recording, you record bands or something? Quite complex sound interface.

go to frys they will hook you up...

I record live but not an entire band playing at the same time or even a complete drum set; just accoustic/electric guitar, bass, vocals and wood instruments.:D I mostly do electronic, pop and rock music. If I have a nice room I would definitely do live bands, that's when your doing the REAL recordings.:D

go to frys they will hook you up...

May I ask, who's frys? Thanks.:D

Back
Top Bottom