partition gone wrong

blackjack

Fully Optimized
I partitioned my hdd and added a 40g V drive , I installed Vista on it thinking id dual boot XP but when I came to choose earlier version of windows on the Vista boot menu it kept saying corrupt file bla bla bla, I decided to format the new partition which got me back to XP but im left now with and empty 40G PRIMARY drive, Can I delete the the drive and join the 40G back onto my XP drive F? I looked at doing this with Partition magic but it says it will put it into a folder in my F drive, that's good but what concerns me is I would in effect have two primary drives on the same drive wont I and that's not possible is it?
Can I use the empty primary drive as storage drive? or can I convert it to a logical drive, I don't want to loose the 40G space by risking deleting the drive.

i know every one has their own way of duel booting their operating system, but if it were up to me ...

i would have the duel boot system set up from two seperate harddrives. that way one drive does not interfere with the other.

also if you want to go back to the primary drive with the main operating system it will be as easy as unhooking the IDE cable.

this is how i do duel booting... :p

edit: i know you can do a duel boot off of one partition, but to keep them seperate makes sence.

I have an Ubuntu live CD can I install that on the drive and will i set up dual booting itself?. if I can and I put the linux distro on it, how would Ubuntu effect my boot loader, meaning if I decided 6months down the line I have had enough of it and I
wanted to format that partition would the boot sequence revert back to just booting XP? AS IS NOW. I've read that linux uses Grub whatever that is to alter your boot sequence so I don't want to knacker my XP installation if I do remove linux.

not really sure about that question, since i never installed Ubuntu on me hhd, but i have used Ubuntu before and i like it. i used the live cd version too.

sorry i could'nt answer your question to get you going...

install ubuntu. the bootloader will sort its self. when you want to remove just format the ubuntu drive, then boot with the xp disc, go to recovery, and fix the boot loader, "fixmbr" and all that :)

install ubuntu. the bootloader will sort its self. when you want to remove just format the ubuntu drive, then boot with the xp disc, go to recovery, and fix the boot loader, "fixmbr" and all that :)

Do I need to use bootmagic with this? or will it set dual boot itself?, also I want to have my XP s my main option, what bothers me is when reading up on installing linux is when its installed linux works but XP isn't a visible option, so I want to be 100% sure it works right.

when you install linux grub will sort its self out and both xp and ubuntu will appear on the boot menu. im not sure how to set xp as the default, but im sure you can do it.
you dont need to use boot magic

Back
Top Bottom