DDR RAM upgrade....

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
..... needed as it's holding back the whole system.

The modules I have now are very standard PC3200 400MHZ modules.

Locking the Memory speed in the BIOS to 400MHZ these modules will only clock to 440MHZ with a FSB of 220MHZ giving me 1980MHZ CPU speed. After that the system becomes unstable. If I set the Memory speed to AUTO in the BIOS, I can hit an FSB of 267MHZ, but the system slows the memory down to 266MHZ! This is what i'm running now. But I have a CPU speed of 2403MHZ. :)

Will hi quality PC3200 memory allow me to over clock to higher speeds? I.E. Corsair etc..

I've got an EVO 33 HSF at the overclock speed and the system is still too cool so I think there's plenty more room for overclocking.

Yes I could buy a new CPU but when I do it'll be an FX-60 or Opteron 185. So for now i'll see what I can get out of my current set up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Can you not just lower the memory divider so you can increase the FSB speed whilst keeping the memory at spec? Find the FSB strap that will allow you to choose a lower divider.

I've been thinking about higher speed memory but my motherboard spec's state that it will only accept up to 400Mhz RAM. Now I guess using higher speed memory wouldn't matter if the BIOS slows it down anyways during overclocking.

And i'm looking at spending about 150 quid on RAM

I've also tried looking for a memory divider in the BIOS and the only thing that comes close is the HyperTransport speed with x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 and auto settings. But im sure this is CPU related.

If you an an A8N-SLI, it DOES have a memory divider. Look more carefully.

:( This ain't going to be easy

Think i've sussed it with the MAX MEM CLOCK setting in the BIOS. This is effectivly the MEM ratio setting.

So now I have to get the calculator out.

Many thanks:)

I've been thinking about higher speed memory but my motherboard spec's state that it will only accept up to 400Mhz RAM. Now I guess using higher speed memory wouldn't matter if the BIOS slows it down anyways during overclocking.

yes the mobo will only accept 400mhz ram so there is no point getting faster if you are not overclocking. But you are.
Like you said
Remeniz said:
these modules will only clock to 440MHZ
So your problem is that the ram won't be stable at higher speeds. Now if you get ram that is designed to be running at 500mhz I can (well actually the manufacturer does) guarantee that it will run fine at 500mhz. And it's good quality so I don't think the ram will have any problems running at around 550mhz.

Back
Top Bottom