GParted / Merging Partitions

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
I was advised by my college teacher to use G-Parted in order to accomplish what I want to accomplish...

I have two partitions, each formatted in NTFS. One has Vista ultimate, one has XP Pro. I want to format/wipe the Vista Ultimate partition, and then merge that partition with the XP Pro partition, making one large partition containing XP pro.

I'm a bit worried however because GParted requires all this extra stuff before it works... and I'm not entirely sure what I actually need in order to merge this partition safely and without too much stress as to whether I'm doing the right thing or not.

Could anybody advise me here? If you don't think GParted is a good free program for partitioning, do you have any other suggestions? Essentially I will be formatting my Vista Partition (should I format it to NTFS?) to add the space to my XP Partition.

Thankyou!
-Rhys

The open source solutions are most dreadful, one is advised to illegally obtain PartitionMagic for Windows through a source of torrents and to do it that way to avoid tears similar to the slump in the housing market during the 1980s.

The open source tools are almost as dangerous as the Falklands Conflict.

I received this information regarding PartitionMagic:

"It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". The same error occurs in some conditions under Windows XP."

Will this be an issue though if I'm planning on reformatting the partition before hand?

-Rhys

If you are reformating the partition beforehand then nothing will be on the partition so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I hope.

The open source solutions are most dreadful, one is advised to illegally obtain PartitionMagic for Windows through a source of torrents and to do it that way to avoid tears similar to the slump in the housing market during the 1980s.

The open source tools are almost as dangerous as the Falklands Conflict.

^^Ignore that. I use G-parted all the time and nothing has EVER gone wrong. It's a lot easier to use than partition magic as well.

GParted is the easiest partitioning program that I have ever used. I would recommend it to anyone.

Well, in that case, what do I require to use it? It seems i need this and that all over the joint. I do have Partition Magic.

Thankyou, but in the FAQ it says:
"You will need Parted >= 1.7.1 and Gtkmm >= 2.8.x
Get Parted from http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/
and Gtkmm from http://gtkmm.org/"

But these files I'm downloading seem a bit high-tech and I have no idea how to install them / use them properly before getting GParted.

-Rhys

On top of that, when I downloaded GParted there were no executable files, and most files had no extension at all.

Back
Top Bottom