Using a harddrive as RAM?

ThIzZpInOy

Baseband Member
Hey everybody!

I was wondering if there is any way of using my extra harddrive as RAM.My pc is pretty slow!

Intel Pentium lll processor 797MHz,384 MB of RAM

I have a 28.6gig harddrive.

You could make a huge page file, but it will be much slower than just adding more RAM.

you are probably doing that already, page file should be on by default. But like celegorm said a harddrive is very slow compared to ram, the ideal situation is to have page file turned off but you need a lot of ram for that.

you are probably doing that already, page file should be on by default. But like celegorm said a harddrive is very slow compared to ram, the ideal situation is to have page file turned off but you need a lot of ram for that.

how much exactly because i really want to turn off pagefile. i have vista btw

how much exactly because i really want to turn off pagefile. i have vista btw

Don't know about vista.
With xp I have 2gb of ram and I still use pagefile, I turned it off once but at times I would get an message saying that some program wants more ram or something like that. Currently my page file is at 2gb.

Like I said I don't really know about vista, but I would leave page file on unless you have 4gb or more of ram.

isnt a hard drive the slowest part in a computer?

PCI devices and Optical drivers (CD/DVD drives) are slower, but usually not a factor in a general slow computer. Other than those, yes, a HDD is the slowest part.

Back
Top Bottom