nVidia 8800GTX with Pentium 4 HT

Pentium2008

Beta member
I found an 8800GTX fairly cheaply but was wondering how it would perform with a Pentium 4 HT 3.54 GHz. I could spend the money on a new CPU as opposed to the graphicas but I would prefer to get an 8800GTX. Thanks for any help.

It would be a pretty big bottleneck. If you could pick up something like a 3600+ X2 and an AM2 board for around $100, that would help a lot.
It's true that the 8800GTXs are going for very cheap ATM even though it will outperform the 9800GTX at higher resolutions with filters thanks to it's higher memory bandwidth.

Thanks for the help. How about a Pentium D or a Pentium Dual-Core, these are cheap and are dual core, how would they perform?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I was looking up the 8800GTS but from what I have heard there are two versions the 320/640MB version, which is worse than the 8800GT, then there is the 512MB version which is better than the 8800GT but worse than the 8800GTX? Am I right? Thanks.

Ok, I was looking up the 8800GTS but from what I have heard there are two versions the 320/640MB version, which is worse than the 8800GT, then there is the 512MB version which is better than the 8800GT but worse than the 8800GTX? Am I right? Thanks.
Yes, you are correct. The 8800GTS 320MB/640MB versions are based on the older G80 core. The 8800GTS 512 and the 8800GT both use the G92 core. The difference between the latter two is that the GT has 112 stream processors and the GTS has 128.
Thanks for the help. How about a Pentium D or a Pentium Dual-Core, these are cheap and are dual core, how would they perform?
Don't get a Pentium D whatever you do. The Pentium dual cores are good as they are based on the Core 2s and use the core architecture as opposed to Netburst (P4, D).
But we need to know what mobo you have. As it may not support them.

I am going to get a new mobo because although it supports up to a C2D it has AGP 8x. So will a Pentium Dual - Core be good enough as when I upgrade I will be working at a budget. I may not do this upgrade straight away though, I'm just doing some research at the moment.

yeah ur gonna need something with a PCI-E slot for a 8800.. we can make u a build if u have a budget :D

Thanks, but like I said I'm not doing anything straight away :(. I'm keeping things such as my case, psu, sound card, dvdrw etc, I built this PC myself and it has a really nice case :p.

Here a few points you need to look for:
- PCI-E X16 slot.
- 45nm Wolfdale support
- SATA II support

Back
Top Bottom