Tonsillectomy

mark thorpe

Golden Master
Anyone had one of these?

im getting repeated tonsillitis, and am probably going to have my tonsils out when i get better from this bout of tonsillitis, ive had it 8 or 9 times in the last 12 months, and each time it knocks me out for a week or so, so far this one is the worst, ive been off sick for 10 days, and still feeling very bad, penicillin doesnt seem to be having an effect, it just keeps on getting worse... think im starting to build up immunity to it. I cant keep on having this much time off work, and i think im going to talk to my GP about having the tonsils out..
just wondering if anyone has had this op before, and anything i should watch out for if i do have them out..

cheers..

Hi Mark, My daughter had hers out two years ago and has been fine ever since, she kept having bouts of it just like you, every 6-8 weeks she would go down with it and have a dose of penicillin, she was admitted to hospital twice with fevers and at one point they thought she had Meningitis so I know what your going through, Unfortunately for you they don't like to take them out when your older, my daughter was five and a half and even then we had to fight for well over a year to persuade them to take them out, Good luck in getting it done and if you do, you will be sore for a couple of days after then you will be fine.

ive got private health care free with work, so all i need from my doctor is a signiture to refer me over to the private doctors, im not leaving his room without that signiture lol.. its starting to affect my progress both with my apprenticeship and at college, which im not willing to accept.. apart from the pain that goes with it, missing this much work will annoy the managers and could cost me my job in the long run, im already at the sick limit with it, and im probably going to have to have a review meeting when i get over this, its going on for 2 weeks now that ive had this bout of tonsillitis, every time i get it its taking longer and longer to get better..

cheers for the good luck, how long off work do you think i would have with the operation?

This is a tough question, in young children its alot quicker 3-4 days, teenagers probably 7-10 days and adults well anything from 10 days to a month depending on any complications afterwords like a sore throat which may limit there food in take which will make them considerable weaker and so recovery slow, the main risk is Bleeding,pain and dehydration due to poor oral intake but dont go letting me put you off Mark as this is looking at the down sides, everybody is different and so recovery is only a guide line

im suffering from a very sore throat at the moment anyway, had it for 2 weeks now, so i think im going to go ahead no matter what, ill be getting it done on private health care anyway, so cant see a problem with getting them out, hopefully ill get it done and it wont get infected or anything, but who knows.. see what the GP says on monday...

A large percentage of people in Canada my age don't have tonsils. Doctors are not sure what their use is really.

Never had them out and they never gave me any trouble. I hope it stays that way because I have a fear of surgery... Only thing I've had to have surgery on was an ingrown toenail, that wasn't too bad, but they had to wrap up my toe in a lot wrapping... I also wouldn't like my Wisdom teeth to have to come out... A friend just had his pulled and he said it was really hurting about 4 days later when I saw him.

Back
Top Bottom