Random restarts (and BSoD)

Gilgond

Baseband Member
Hi!

I've had some problems with random restarts for a while now, and I'm getting rather tired of it. At times it will restart just after logging in to windows XP. It also restarts at times after I have used the computer for a while. The BSoD that comes when it restarts just after logging in says:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

I'm not sure if it says the same when restarting after I have been using the copmuter for a while (I will check next time it does that).

It doesn't restart after using it for a while very often, the intervals are usually a couple of hours. It is possible that it is some kind of hard ware problem, because after moving the copmuter I have been able to use it for a week without a single restart, but when moving it back, it happens more regular again.

Also, I don't think it is the memory; I did a memtest a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't show any errors.

My computer configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
RAM:Corsair Twin2X2048-6400
Motherboard: ECS NFORCE4M-A
PSU: Chieftec CFT-620A-12S, 620 Watt
GPU: some old PCI card now, my XFX 8600GTS is away for RMA

Any help is appreciated.

Where did you move the computer to when it starting working, and where is the computer located when it restarts randomly?

Well, I have moved it between the two places a couple of times, and I think I had the same problem atleast one time when I had it where it has worked :) So what I was suggesting was more that the transportation may have done something.

The place where it worked better is where my parents live, and the place where it didn't work aswell is where I live when going to school.

Check your PC for dust, the heatsinc is usually clogged after a while, even remove your ram and carefully clean them and slots, check your graphics card is seated correctly and hasn't got disturbed while you moved your PC, clean around the jumpers with a fine brush, do the same for between the panels of the heat sinc, I would also check you fans are working correctly and giving the PC sufficient cooling, does it run ok if you leave the side panel off? what your temps?

What I was getting at was maybe the room you had the computer in when it wasn't working well was possibly a room that is very warm and traps alot of heat inside making the computer act up.

Doing what blackjack hopefully will fix the problem.

It doesn't have to do with the graphics card, because I have had the same problem both when using and old PCI card as when using a PCI-E 8600GTS.

I have already tried replacing the memory sticks, I have also tried using only one at once. I don't think there is any dust, but I'll check that again just to be sure.

I believe I checked the temperatures a while ago, and they seemed to be OK. But I don't have any program to check it now, so do you know any good program I could use? I tried Motherboard Monitor 5, but it didn't seem to work with the motherboard I use. Or should I just check the temperatures in BIOS just after a restart?

After further thoughts, I can't see how the problem with restarts just after logging in could be because of overheating...

It doesn't have to do with the graphics card, because I have had the same problem both when using and old PCI card as when using a PCI-E 8600GTS.

I have already tried replacing the memory sticks, I have also tried using only one at once. I don't think there is any dust, but I'll check that again just to be sure.

I believe I checked the temperatures a while ago, and they seemed to be OK. But I don't have any program to check it now, so do you know any good program I could use? I tried Motherboard Monitor 5, but it didn't seem to work with the motherboard I use. Or should I just check the temperatures in BIOS just after a restart?

After further thoughts, I can't see how the problem with restarts just after logging in could be because of overheating...

Try CPU COOL or CPUZ

Back
Top Bottom