vista partioning

DefCon_!1!

Fully Optimized
ok, so im trying to dual boot vosta and ubuntu.

problem is, that when im tryin to partion through the computer managment program in windows

now, to start things off, my laptop came with my hard drive split into two
2rr02ex.jpg

is there any way to have some space moved over from HDD to C:\ ??

cause i cant really free up ne more space in C:/, nd i cant dual boot from F:/ (HDD)
like 10g or 15

ne help would be great

that seems kinda weird that your computer came with its hard drive split into a C drive and an F drive. Usually it is C and D.

to move space over you'd have to re-partition the hard drive. you would lose all your data unless you saved it somewhere else. I believe that is the only way. correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

First we have to see what the breakdown looks like in disk managment.

to youngpc, re-installing an OS is always last resort.

There are programs which can extend the partition, one of these is Paragon Partition Manager, but this costs money, I'm sure there would be a free alternative somewhere.

There are programs which can extend the partition, one of these is Paragon Partition Manager, but this costs money, I'm sure there would be a free alternative somewhere.

Yeah. Maybe try searching google for one. But windows itself can not extend partitions, as far as i am aware.

I think windows can extend a partition if it is in the "FAT" format, but if it is NTFS then it cannot. I remember this becuase I did it in ages ago when I had Windows 95, there was a program called "Drivespace".

I think windows can extend a partition if it is in the "FAT" format, but if it is NTFS then it cannot. I remember this becuase I did it in ages ago when I had Windows 95, there was a program called "Drivespace".

Did not know that. Interesting.

I just assumed he would be using NTFS.

DefCon, have you tried downloading GParted. It is a great FREE program that allows you to partition your hdd. I would recommend that you try that first. I strongly recommend that you don't use windows integrated partitioning software because for me it has only caused problems.

Another option for you is to install Ubuntu. When you install it you have access to GParted. When you install Ubuntu you will be asked which partition you want to install on. Then just choose the one that you want and you will be all set.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom