First PC Build - Opinions Please

Would the average optical drive cable cross?
Mine does, but I have to have it in the second 5.25" bay rather than the top one. Of course you could always just get a SATA optical drive.
BTW I am making a wiring diagram to better understanding this but i am kind of stuck so could you please fill in the rest for me please?
These are the 24 pin and the ATX12V connectors from the PSU:

power_supply_20-24pin.jpg

They connect to these connectors on the motherboard:

06-24pin_atx.jpg
p4batx12v440.jpg

I need my front panel connections like power, usb's, firewire etc. Also can you tell me how to properly fit the power supply to everything please?

ASUS motherboards have something to help you with that, it's called the Q-connector, and you can easily see where to put all the case wires:

20060606_8.jpg

BTW, the P5K manual comes with a diagram showing you where all the connectors are so you don't need to worry about doing your own. I showed where the power connectors from the PSU go, and the manual will tell you where the SATA cables etc need to go.

The PCI-E power connectors are used for your graphics card, the 8800GT only requires one:

02_6-pinPCI-E.gif
pcie_conn.jpg

This is a SATA power connector:

sata15pin.jpg

It is keyed so it will only fit in one way to here on your HDD/optical drive:

sata_hard_drive_connectors_jumpers.jpg

Thank you very much Worshipme now i understand a lot better. Is that your computer in the pictures?

BTW Are the computer components of now alot easier to use than say in the late 80s/90s? They are so hard to put together, i tried last week,

Is that your computer in the pictures?
No, it isn't, but mine is exactly the same and has the same connectors.
BTW Are the computer components of now alot easier to use than say in the late 80s/90s? They are so hard to put together, i tried last week,
I don't know much about stuff from that long ago lol. But on today's systems, everything is pretty much self explanatory when you get your parts. For exemple, SATA power connectors will only go into SATA hard drives and optical drives and they can only fit in one way. The 24 pin connector from the PSU can only fir into the 24 pin connector on the motherboard etc. Plus if you are even unsure of where something goes whilst you're builing your PC, you can just ask. We'll be happy to help.

thanks for all your help. about that computer i was writing about it was my dads, im only 12 lol he got it second hand from a guy who go it second hand from a guy who got it new, so it is probably even older lol.

how old are you by the way? since when have you been building computers?

What about the nvidia 9600GT?

Back
Top Bottom