I need a bit of help (building)

Depends on where you live. I order packages from newegg the night before (at ANY time) and I'll receive them by 1-3PM the next day, but I live pretty close to the warehouse. They're usually great with shipping and have different options to suit your needs.

Regarding your chosen specs, they all look fine. You've got the same motherboard and CPU that I'm currently running, and I'm loving it. No issues at all. The Arctic Cooling heatsink will do a great job keeping the Q6600 cool, but if you're thinking of doing any overclocking (moderate levels) you might want to consider one of the bad boy heatsinks (Thermalright Ultra 120, Tuniq Tower, Zalman, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Chris

SATA cables will come with the m/board, I can't remember if I got three or four with my P5K, four iirc

You don't give a budget figure so I'll assume it isn't an issue.

P35 is a good chipset, did you consider X38 at all?
45nm processor as opposed to the 65nm Q6600 maybe??
Budget ram?? HyperX surely :)

Anti virus is your call, there are decent free ones available, $50 could be better used elsewhere imo

Vista if you want, though if you do go XP at least go Pro instead of home.

Q6600 is fine for me

XP Home is also fine for me; I know Vista is being integrated, but I expect XP to still go strong for at least six more months, of which time I'll be able to enjoy quality rather than a plethora of glitches

I live in Texas, so any estimate?

but anyways, thanks guys, been a big help, I've gone on other boards and got flamed and called a noob............nice forums:)

Q6600 is fine for me

XP Home is also fine for me; I know Vista is being integrated, but I expect XP to still go strong for at least six more months, of which time I'll be able to enjoy quality rather than a plethora of glitches

I live in Texas, so any estimate?

but anyways, thanks guys, been a big help, I've gone on other boards and got flamed and called a noob............nice forums:)

To be on the safe side, if you ordered in the beginning of the week with their standard shipping, I suppose that it'll arrive by Friday latest.

You could always pay a little more for quicker shipping methods they offer.

A week is fine, thanks

So will the Q6600, 9600GT, and the 2GB RAM run Oblivion and other games?

A week is fine, thanks

So will the Q6600, 9600GT, and the 2GB RAM run Oblivion and other games?

Definitely. The Q6600, as many will tell you, is a great chip, but if you're strictly going for gaming, a Dual Core is a better decision since most games aren't designed to fully utilize a Quad core's abilities. That said, the Q6600 doesn't fail or see a noticeable decrease in performance. I game with mine and everything is silky smooth.

Regarding the 9600GT, I'm sure it can handle most of the games you throw at it. Oblivion will run great; what other games are you planning on playing?

How much is the 9600GT ATM? $150-$160. You can get an 8800GT for under $200 and have 112 stream processors instead of the 9600's measly 64. Look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143118 $170 after MIR.

And what GhostGT said is true. Hardly any games are optimized for quads and benefit more from the higher clock speeds of the Core 2 Duos. The E8400 for exemple, at stock it runs at 3.0GHz and still destroys the Q6600 in games. But it can also overclock to 4.3GHz. Here are some benchmarks: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_9.html#sect0 Ignore synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark.
Also you might want to consider some better RAM, DDR2 is very cheap right now and for less than $60, you can get an 800MHz kit with CAS 4 latencies that can overclock to at least 1066MHz speeds: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146673

Nah, a quad core is fine, it will probably last me longer than a dc

I want a 9series card but I'm not going to shell out $400-500, and from what I've heard the 9600GT can run any game the 8800 can.

Other games: Valve's games, BF2, maybe Guild Wars, etc

Oh woops, forgot to ask, when I'm building how important is it to have anti-static protection? What kind of work environment is needed? Open space? Carpet floor or tile?

Also, will latex gloves keep my hands static free? Or at least, keep them from discharging?

Ah, sorry for the question, but seriously last one: is the 600W power supply good enough for the setup? Or do I need more?

BTW I don't plan on overclocking so.......

For a work space you should work on a hard, open table that is not on carpeted floor. You should wear clothes that don't build up a lot of static, and be sure to discharge static on a grounded piece of metal. It is also recommended that you wear an anti-static wrist band or work on an anti-static pad. I would not use latex gloves because they may interfere with the parts (getting stuck on the component leads, etc...)

That power supply will work with that system. Not only does it provide enough wattage, it also supplies more than enough amps, in this case 36 combined amps on dual 12V rails. I think that is above the requirement for that GPU.

Nice build, btw.

I want a 9series card but I'm not going to shell out $400-500, and from what I've heard the 9600GT can run any game the 8800 can.
The 8800GT is significantly faster than the 9600. The 9-series aren't even worthy of the name. They still use the same G92 core as the 8800GT and 8800GTS 512. So they're not next-generation cards at all. Here are some benches comparing the 9600GT and the 8800GT: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss9600gt-512gs_11.html#sect1
64 stream processors is not a lot.
Oh woops, forgot to ask, when I'm building how important is it to have anti-static protection? What kind of work environment is needed? Open space? Carpet floor or tile?

Also, will latex gloves keep my hands static free? Or at least, keep them from discharging?
As long as you ground yourself by touching the bare metal of your case before touching components, you'll be fine. Oh, and only hold the PCBs by the edges.
Ah, sorry for the question, but seriously last one: is the 600W power supply good enough for the setup? Or do I need more?

BTW I don't plan on overclocking so.......
Wattage isn't the most important factor when buying a PSU, there are plenty of 600W PSUs out there that don't deliver their rated power, or don't have enough amps on the 12V rail.
The Purepower range is one of Thermaltake's not so good products. This is a better choice IMO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Back
Top Bottom