Where to buy GPU Cooler?

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I've never bought a GPU cooler before, so, I need some help. I tried Google. I have a Sapphire Radeon x1650 AGP 8x card that I think could use a new fan, I have it OCed about 150 MHz in core clock, and mem clock is OC'd as well, so it runs pretty hot (so hot I have to keep the side of my case off to prevent my system from overheating and it's STILL loud, but, the sound of the game blocks it out completely). The current fan just touches the neighboring PCI slot, I'm fine with that slot rendered unusable, it has maybe a half inch space between it and the sound card next to it, I hope I can somehow do this. So, I'll probably need a smaller one. Can anyone link me?

The Zalman VF900 is a great choice. They are very quiet and are great for overclocking. They can be had at many online vendors such as Newegg too.

It says in a review that a guy took a Powercolor x1650 AGP card and installed it on it. How would I go about installing the fan?

I know this topic is old but I may buy it as my GPU is getting hotter nowadays (for some reason, maybe dust in the fan, or the fan is failing or something. Not sure. THe dust in the fan is probably due to the fact that I have the side off, but, the reason I have the side off is because of dust in the fan, lol, a vicious cycle. I have the PCI-Metal slot cover for the 3rd PCI slot opened so the fan can blow air through it because it is right Next to a PCI slot in the 2nd PCI slot so the air would just muddle around it and it would still be hot so now it has some place to go, out the back, is this smart?)

My question is: Is this fan bigger than the stock cooling? If it is, it won't work, since the one as of now is barely sizeable enough to work, and my sound card is about 2-3 CM away from the GPU fan itself. If it was smaller, that'd be a bonus. I can provide a link to the Newegg listing as to the GPU I got.

It is a bit larger than the stock fan but here's an easy solution. Take the sound card that is in the second PCI slot and move it down into the empty third PCI slot. That way you'll have plenty of room for the new cooler. :D

Err... you're not understanding.

Here's how it goes:

PCI SLOT 1: Router/Modem Thing
PCI SLOT 2: SOUND CARD
PCI SLOT 3: Empty
AGP Slot: Graphics Card

The fan makes it impossible to put anything into the PCI slot #3 (the fan stops JUST before it goes over the slot, it's border to going a millimeter over it, but, still, if I put something there the fan would be blowing into itself, not good).

How much bigger would it be? I could get rid of the modem but I'd have no internet, and I value my sound card, and my GPU can't even handle normal temps w/o it going to high fan speeds. While it doesn't glitch out it still has overheating problems and runs at 100% if playing Oblivion for awhile, and this is with the side of the PC off. Crappy stock cooling. I used to be able to OC my GPU to about 870 MHz Memory, 640 MHz core, or, factory-settings memory, 661 core, but, I can't do that anymore, and now it's overheating at 580 and 530 MHz and I have to keep it at normal for it to work and even then it's getting hotter. Could the fan be failing actually? Could 100% for the fan actually be like, 50%?

OK I get it now. So the slot closet to the video card is empty.

As long as the slot closest to the video card is empty, you can use most any aftermarket cooling solution for your video card.

The first thing you should try though is cleaning out the stock cooler. Get a can of compressed air and blow that sucker out (Take the card out of the machine first). You could also try removing the cooler, cleaning off the thermal paste, and then reapply some high quality paste before reinstalling the cooler to the card. Hows the airflow through the case? Do you have any cooling fans mounted in the front or rear of the case?

No. It's a Dell, but, I have the side off of the PC, and the PCI slot #3 little metal plate is removed for the air to go out.

Back
Top Bottom