Wireless question...

iceshooter161

In Runtime
Hey, I got a question about my wireless card that I have installed in my computer. If I view all of the available wireless connections it shows that I can pick up two network that are coming from my computer (one named Dave and one named OpenDave). Dave is the name of my computer account. I've looked everywhere to see where these connections are coming from but I cannot figure it out at all. The main thing that i'm trying to do is set up a network so that I can have my IPhone connect to my computer and share my internet connection using an ad-hoc network. Any clue where these two mysterious network connections are coming from? Thanks.

Anyone have any clue where these two random network connections are coming from? I've looked everywhere but can't figure out how to get rid of them.

Let me get this straight. You installed a wireless card in your computer. Using that very same computer, it shows you have access to 2 different wireless access points called Dave and OpenDave?

Hm, I don't think we're understanding your info here.

Before I go on, you need a router in order to receive a wireless signal for your iPhone. If i'm not mistaken, there is no other way for you to wirelessly transmit a signal.

Okay, so now. You've got two connections (wireless) showing up, and both are named:

Dave
OpenDave

Have you ever used any of these names before?
Are you sure one of them isn't a "WIRED" connection name?
Do you have a neighbor or someone around you who's name might be Dave also?

Your computer could be picking up another neighbor's connection, and there is a possibility that theirs is also called Dave or OpenDave.

For the first part of my question, you can actually set up wireless signal without a router if you set up the mode of the network to Ad-Hoc. I've done a lot of research and also from personal experience trust me ad-hoc does work without a router.

As for the 2 mysterious signals that I am getting, I am almost positive that they are not coming from a neighbor. In my college dorm that I am staying in, it is almost impossible to get a wireless signal to go from room to room. I think I used the name Dave for a wireless network a long time ago, but I don't use it anymore so I don't understand why it would still show up. As for OpenDave, I have no clue where its coming from. Also, I checked the name of all of my wired connections and none of them are named Dave.

Back
Top Bottom