Boot-Up Times

zlashed

Baseband Member
For the first long while my startup times were very good, and I reached the login screen in very little time. Just recently, however, It has very substantially slowed down due to much added time during the loading bar (The one where the green line moves across the rectangle over and over). I checked for viruses and spyware/adware with Eset Smart Security and Ad-Aware SE Pro and found nothing. I would really like to find out why there is so much added time. Another problem I have doesn't so much affect the time but is simply a very big annoyance. When I start up and the POST runs, I am forced to press F1 to continue on to the login screen. The choices are F1 to continue or DEL to enter BIOS. I checked in BIOS to see if i can disable the F1 prompt, but I saw nothing. I thought there would be a way to have it wait a second or two if i want to enter BIOS and if i don't hit delete, just keep going. And help on either of these issues is very greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. (Specs Listed below)

Windows Vista 64 Bit

Evga 780i Mobo

4GB gSkill Ram

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz

How much stuff do you have on your hard drive compared to how much total space there is? This is usually one of the bigger causes of slowing down. If you had, say, a 250 GB hdd with 30 GB free space, you would probably notice a difference.

I have 66.7 GB free of 224 GB. Do you think that could cause such a substantial slowdown? One thing to take into account is that only about 5 days ago It was booting up way faster.

I went through and deleted some old fraps videos that were really clogging my hard drive. I got free space up to 112 GB of 124 GB free and noticed no difference in boot-up time. I don't think the hard drive is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. And to FlightSimBoy and everyone else, more suggestions are welcomed.

Alright, I fixed the issue involving the F1 prompt but am still experiencing slow boot up times. So all can forget about the F1 problem, but please help with the slow boot-up.

it's a well known fact that after a while windows will slow down. (your loading slow down in only one problem). Easiest fix is to reinstall windows.

If you don't want to do that then you can always defrag the hdd (I suggest O&O defrag) and remove startup processes. (this won't affect the loading screen, but will make booting faster since less programs are starting up)

Well windows does slow down after awhile, and I know this. I reformat about every three months or so. After I login I am into windows in about a second. It is not the startup programs that are causing the issue. Its just that screen with the green bar just randomly started taking way longer. Good suggestion with Ccleaner blackjack, but I already own it and run it several times a day. I will try defrag but I doubt it will help because this computer is only a month old. i appreciate the suggestions nonetheless and I'll post back with results soon.

If you don't wanna install ccleaner (which I love) then perhaps start/run/msconfig and you can edit services
Edit: oo nvm vista I need to read....

Haha, yes, I already have ccleaner and use it VERY often. But I think the problem is something that doesn't build up over time. One day, suddenly, it took 10 or 15 seconds longer at the green bar screen. Just out of the blue. It wasn't something that built up. Fast one day, slow the next, nothing in between.

Back
Top Bottom