Internet Connection Error

davidlondon

Solid State Member
Hello all.

I have a slight problem with my internet. I connect to my Netgear hub, via a wireless connection, the hub has this connection and one wired.

The router connects to the internet and internet access is given by the hub.

A problem a have is... The internet seems to drop out, in my web browsers only, i.e. msn etc will stay connected and active, and however I get no response from internet sites.

Something I have noticed is in network connections my "internet connection" shows up, I then double click to "enable" this. This then comes up "connecting" and then "connected". The connection tab in internet connections then disappears and my internet works fine. However, when the problem occurs again, the internet tab is showing in network connections and if I right click it says "enable" I can't click on status. If I right click and select properties, it opens, but then if I hit "settings" I get this message.

"The internet connection sharing computer is not configured to let network users control or disable the shared internet connection. This setting can be changed in the advanced properties of the shared connection on the internet sharing connection sharing computer"

I don't fully understand this message; hopefully someone will be able to help me!

Thanks

So, the gist of this is that you can't keep alive the connection from the hub.

First: Have you tried to connect directly to the router and see if you are able to keep the connection alive when you are browsing? If you can then i would check the setting on the hub, and maybe update the firmware on it if possible.

Second: If you can't keep the connection alive coming straight from the router then I would go back to the modem and try to keep it alive from there. Hopefully you will be able to keep it alive at the modem.

Try that and see what happens with that. Then we can work on the other question that you have of what that quote means.

Cheers!

Hello.

The connection remains alive, as msn will stay connected. However the connection seems to die in my webbroswer. I will do as requested this weekend. Do you understand thismessage?

"The internet connection sharing computer is not configured to let network users control or disable the shared internet connection. This setting can be changed in the advanced properties of the shared connection on the internet sharing connection sharing computer"

do you know how I can correct this at all?

Thanks very much!!

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that you might want to try to reinstall your browser.

I don't know the answer to the second part, but I will get in touch with DJ-CHRIS and have him explain it for you if he will.

Cheers!

Hello. I tried a direct connection to the router, same issue occured.

The other pc I have connected via wire the connection remains stable no problems, likewise with a laptop I have wireless too.

Just seems to be my pc.

So you have PC connected direct via a LAN cable and a laptop connected wireless and they work OK , so are you saying your trying to connect another PC to the network wireless as well?

Correct.

PROBLEM SOLVED. FIREWALL RESTRICTING ACCESS. RE-CONFIGED

THANKS ALL

I'm glad you got it sorted, your solution would have been my first thought as you new the networks was fine as it runs the other computer fine.

Back
Top Bottom