frozen file

ellis900091

Solid State Member
have a file that has some illegal characters in its file name and when i try to do anything with it ie play, move, copy, rename, delete it it gives me an error message is there any way that i could rename it with some sort of program or something?

thanks for your time
Steve Ellis

How about right-clicking and going to properties and renaming it there? If not, I have no clue...

nope that doesn't work and i also tried a program called unlocker assistant and that didn't work either

yes that is the program i mentioned earlier and i don't want to delete the file but and i cant get to it from the command prompt because it wont let me go to the drive its on haha because its an ext2 drive that had a lot of stuff on it and insted of wiping it i found a program that lets windows read that type of file system but command prompt wont let me cd to it

so i got the command prompt to open the directory by downloading the Open Command Window Here power toy and got ended explorer.exe and tried to rename it but to no avail any more suggestions?

so upon further research the file i downloaded originally had some asian characters in it and windows decided to replace them with "?" so i installed the east asian language packs and the file stayed the same here is a picture
problem.jpg
i hope this helps

so ive tried loading knoppix and mounting the harddrive and then renaming or deleting the file and it cant but oddly enough i can play the file under knoppix i am fresh out of ideas anyone have a suggestion

go in cmd and go to the folder that it is in then type:

dir /x

It should give a list of names and then a list of names that look like this

file~1

Use this name to rename it. Type:

rename file~1 newfile

use whatever names you want but basically file~1=original file and newfile=the renamed file. Not sure if it will work but it worked for me once.

Back
Top Bottom