Hard Drive Question

Cardnil

Beta member
Currently I have a nice average 7200 RPM IDE Seagate 320gb hard drive.

However, I would like to upgrade to a Western Digital Raptor 10000rpm 150gb hard drive, or two of them.

My question is: Can I use both one Raptor and my old Seagate at the same time? or
Is there some way I can transfer all the data from my Seagate to the Raptor?
and

Thanks!

Can I use both one Raptor and my old Seagate at the same time?
Yes, you can. You could transfer your OS and programs to the Raptor and gave all your media and docs to the 320GB for exemple. They will show as seperate drives and you will have to set the drive with your OS on as your boot drive in the BIOS.
Is there some way I can transfer all the data from my Seagate to the Raptor?
Yes, use http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

To move all your data to the new drive you will have to use
Acroniis or Ghost. I assume you are running XP.
You can use both hard drives. You will have to make one slave and the main hard drive master. If you are using SATA, there is no master/slave.
darroll

Actually I am on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

So can I use an IDE and a SATA at the same time? Would I just go in to my BIOS and put one of the hard drives as the secondary(whichever doesnt have the OS)?
Or would that even work?
Thanks again

If you are planning on using the new Raptor as the main boot drive, there is no need to set the IDE drive as slave since it's the main device on the IDE channel. You will only need to set the boot order so that the Raptor is the first boot device after you transfer the OS to it. You can then reformat the Seagate for use as a storage or backup drive.

There should be a utility available from Western Digital's site that will copy and transfer the entire contents of your old drive to the new drive.

Back
Top Bottom