What's a good guitar for a beginner?

IMO it depends what you want to do with the amp.

if you want to practise, then this cube should be more than enough.

if you even want to do more than it'll never be enough.

I think that the best way to get effects is to buy stomp boxes, or a multiFX box. amp based effects just aren't all that great usually.

for the amp on it's own though, i don't think that you can really fault these as practise amps.

Nah, I played electric for a couple of months, but I have always wanted to play electric. A lot of my friends have electric guitars, and I enjoy playing them more.

yeah I know, when I started playing on my 11th birthday I was still new to music and didn't really have any influences and I started on a nylon string I borrowed for 2 weeks then got a steel string acoustic then I think I didn't get a Yamaha Pacifica electric until a year or so later for about $350 or something.

Amp looks good!

<insert post here>

I got 4 hours of sleep so it's not as easy to follow haha but that's awesome about the pickup switching mod. I'm more of a riff guy so I'm usually playing an EMG Active 81 in the bridge and an EMG Active 85 in the neck pickup slot. There's no middle pickup with my 3-way, switching to middle is really just... in the middle, haha it's bad.

Edit: yeah if you wanna play live I think you need +40 watts atleast. I've used a 75 watt Line 6 for a while but I really need to get this job near my house for a 100 watt Randall stack.

Electrics are easier to learn on because the strings aren't as thick and it's easier to fret chords. Acoustics however are a little harder to learn on, but you can play them anywhere, it's all a matter of personal preference. Persosnally, I'm more of a Acoustic man but I get a hard on whenever I hear someone shred on a Electric:p

The Fender Squire Strat is a great beginner guitar, that's what I had. You get the guitar, amp, strap, tuner, picks and a book for under $200.

I like ESP guitars but the standards are around $4000 US! So you have to buy their LTD brand which is considerably cheaper and well, quality comes down with that so I won't ever play ESP until I can afford a standard.

Dean are amazing but the price range for top quality is staggering.

I'm pretty much a dedicated Jackson guitarist, I really love every model they have: King V, Rhoads, Dinky, Soloist, Warrior, Kelly - it's freakin wicked. Their Series' go in order: JS, X, MG, Pro and Select but I've always played an Pro Rhoads and an MG Dinky (MG is a separate series the same as Pro but with EMG pickups I prefer).

OMFG ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

2913060541_xl.jpg

They just released their new signature King V! I freakin love it, haha.

what sound do you want?

Metal? go with either a ibanez or a schecter. it just has to have ACTIVE PICKUPS.
Blues? go with a hollow body, something like the one gibson makes
Rock? Strat, Les Paul, or something with PASSIVE PICKUPS.
Country, emo, or vintage? telecaster.

as for the amp, get your self a line six if you want effects (the 50 watt solid state bogner spider is really really nice) or a known brand (marshal or mesa are my personal favorites) if you don't Don't get the roland cube, its not a nice as it could be.

for the cord, get a monster

buy strap locks if you want to stand. you will thank me for these

don't go cheap on the strap. I've got a really nice levy's strap and its nice looking, but the fabric is nice and THICK. it cushions the weight (its light until an hour passes, then it gets heavy FAST, so just because the guitar is light doesn't mean it will feel that way playing) and its nice and strong. my friend has a military grade strap, and it is rated at 200 lbs, so he could hand from his guitar.

if you later want effects, get a boss floorboard to do them. they are the best.

I hope this helps

I've had a Line 6 Spider II 75 watt combo for a couple years and it's pretty nice being able to choose your tone then save it as a preset so you don't have to screw around with knobs until you want to change tone, or master volume doesn't as a preset. It's an awesome amp for the price, even cheaper now if you can find it somewhere lol.

I was interested in the Spider III range when it came out but I've heard on so many occasions about a common problem causing something in the wiring to blow and some say they cranked it in the first 30mins and it blew, some say a day or 2 and it went, stay away from Spider 3 I'd say, which is a shame for me.

Go with the Roland and a cheapo Fender. You're probably not going to have a neck carve preference yet, so you should be able to learn on almost anything. The Strat is a very versatile guitar. Good for everything from Country quack to brutal licks, you just need the right settings and amp. You'll have fun fooling around with it.

And one of my personal opinions, which is good advice most of the time like all my advice, is don't buy a brutal looking guitar because it looks brutal. They are often uncomfortable and are sub-standard. You need to do your homework on those guys.

That's why I bought a Jackson Rhoads after I had a Dinky because the super-strat shape is really comfortable and is pretty much my main guitar. Where as the Rhoads has passive Seymour Duncans so it's something different but you gotta get used to sitting with it differently which is something a novice probably shouldn't need to worry about.

That's why I don't think I could do with a single V guitar like the photo I inserted, I'd need that second guitar that I sit casually with instead of standing or sitting classical style. Which is funny because I would have to sell atleast both of my guitars to get that signature King V.

I always have found playing while sitting to be uncomfortable, so I never do it.

Bottom line is, when it comes to guitars, you get what you pay for, but start off with something you don't mind trashing because you will more than likely want to upgrade, and you won't lose as much money selling your old axe in the process.

Back
Top Bottom