How ready am I?

colorblindjimbo

In Runtime
I am a junior college student, and I am graduating after this semester. Next year I will be attending a four-year engineering school, and will be majoring in computer science.

So far I've learned the following

1. HTML-- easy
2. Javascript-- picked it up mostly on my own, and from a basic web design class.
3. Visual Basic--- Introductory Class, to give you the scope of the class, we ended the semester right after we got to database integration, but briefly covered it.
4. NXC- (Not exactly C), is a robotics programming language for the NXT Lego Robots.
5. ESS (event script scripting). If you play any valve games, or have ever hosted a server you should know what this is. It's what runs most custom mods for servers (gungame, some zombie mods, etc...).

All in all, most of my programming experience has come from either introductory classes, or self-teaching/recreational use.

I am asking how well prepared I am for the classes I will be taking once I get to university. When I get to university I will need to learn Java, C#, and probably alot more languages that I've never really heard of.

You shouldn't have to much trouble with Java as it is just a large extension of javascript. I am not sure about C# or any of the .NET languages.

Do you have any sense as to what languages you are going to have to learn, and to what depth, because you could do a little work on your own to prepare for them. And keep working with VB because that will help you with all the others, too.

Cheers!

Dude, it doesn't have to do with what you know. All languages vary in their commands and whatnot. The important thing is that you get the concept of programming. With this said, and assuming to do grasp the principles, you should be fine. I'm a sophomore in high school and I can say I can work my way around pretty well in VB and C++. I wanna learn some OpenGL and some C#. But I'm too addicted to video games lol. Trying to quit.

You should be fine. I took some programming courses in college, a few Java classes, assembly language, and an HTML class without ever having programmed at all in that language before taking them and with no programming experience until I went to college. Basically you are ahead of the game right now since you have programming knowledge already. In your first programming course it will likely be introductory so your teachers won't expect you to know that language when you first start out.

I would say take a look at perl/php as they are intermediate laungauges and most similar to c/c++ than asp/vb.net etc. That way you can progress onto C++ aswell

If you understand the basics of any real programming language you can learn a new one fairly quickly since its really only the syntax that changes.

Make sure you understand the concept of:
1. Loops (For, while, etc...)
2. Logical Structures (If / else if, Switch statements)
3. Data structures
4. Algorithms

If you can learn these in one language you'll easily be able to port them over to a different language by learning the new syntax.

Man I think your ahead of the game as I am to major in computer science and I dont really know nothing lol. Good luck to you!

You could look at some C# tutorials if thats what you are going to be learning anyway
You're right, maybe I should try some application programming.

I just need a project to work on. I don't like just doing hello world, and stuff, I need something I'm interested in to work on.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom