Mixing Wired and Wireless?

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, I have a wired router with 8 ports (6 being used) and I'm wondering if I can get some wireless in there too. Now, me and my brother both have a PSP (Slim Lite) and we want to have a wireless connection for them. I was thinking about switching over to wireless in one go, but the cost of a router, adapters for all the computer (4 in total) and wireless adapters for 2 Xbox360s would be kinda hard on my wallet.

So, I was wondering if I could hook up some kind of Wireless router into one of the unused ports on my wired router and use it for just PSPs and maybe a laptop with a wireless connection.

I have 4 computers and 2 Xbox360s connected to a wired Netgear FVS318 (Version 3) router (8 ports). Here is a link to the router I have:

http://netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS318.aspx

Oh, and I'm somewhat new to Wireless.

Yes, you can just plug a wireless access point into a free port.

A commercial wireless router will work as an access point if you plug a LAN port to the LAN port on your switch, and disable DHCP. You can also purchase proper access points.

Personally for 802.11G, i recomend the Linksys WRT54GL's with the DD-WRT firmware installed.

yea ^
just disable dhcp on the wireless router, or which ever router is not the main one. ie: doesnt have the telephone line/internet connection. then its as simple as plugging in an ethernet cable

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a 4 port wireless router and I'll be plugging it into an unused port on my 8port wired router. My dad really wants to go to wireless, so he liked the idea. So, we'll be gradually making the transition from wired to wireless.

I got Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router.

Okay, I still have the netgear router I mentioned before and I now have the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. I was able to get the wireless router to run on it's own and was able to connect to the internet. The only wireless device I have right now is a Playstation Portable. I tested the web browser and internet radio and everything worked fine.

I then got the netgear router hooked up, after disabling DHCP on the wireless router. I have the wireless router hooked up into an unused port on the netgear router and that cable connects to the internet port on the wireless.

My PSP scanned and found the wireless router, but failed to obtain an IP address. For the time being, I've disabled all security on the wireless router to make testing easier.

Any ideas?

Internet>Modem>Netgear Router>Linksys Wireless Router>Playstation Portable That's pretty much how I'm trying to get this to connect.

A commercial wireless router will work as an access point if you plug a LAN port to the LAN port on your switch, and disable DHCP.

My PSP scanned and found the wireless router, but failed to obtain an IP address. For the time being, I've disabled all security on the wireless router to make testing easier.

Any ideas?

Read what I said, plug it into a LAN port, not a WAN port.

Back
Top Bottom