Troubleshoothing help needed

amabee

Solid State Member
Looking for some help in troubleshooting a problem on my computer, first here are my specs:

Operating system XP Home SP2
Motherboard Intel DG965RY
CPU E4500
Memory 2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
Video card EVGA 8800GT SC
Hard drive Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
Optical drives Sony DVD ROM & Sony DVD burner
Power supply Ultra X-connect 500W

Here are the issues:

I moved my computer last weekend to help out with a local function, should not have been a big deal. After getting everything connected I hit the power switch, it came on for maybe a sec or two and shut off, it did this over and over. I checked to make sure everything was connected properly, it continued doing this for awhile, eventually it began to further and further into the boot process and finally Windows loaded, after that it seemed to be ok.

I brought it back home and went through the same thing. I also discovered that a couple games would cause my computer to literally turn off as the game loaded. After a couple seconds the power would come back on and it would restart. This happened with COD4 and Crysis, a couple older games(COD2 for example) would work. As time went on, this became worse as now this is happening with COD2 as well.

I seem to be able to turn it off for a short period of time, say 5 minutes, and it will restart just fine. The longer the power is off the harder it is to get it to restart.

Any thoughts? I am thinking PSU? Could a failing PSU cause both of these issues?

I should also note that for the time being, I have removed the video card and am running off the onboard video.

Any other info needed to help with this, please ask, I really need some help with this.

Thanks,

Allen

I would suggest reseating your peripherals such as video card, memory, etc. Also check to make sure all connections, wires, IDE/SATA cables are fully attached.

I've tried that, removed and reseated both RAM modules and the video card. Unplugged and replugged all the power connections, no change.

I should post the things I have tried.

I tried running on just one stick of RAM, thinking maybe one was bad. Tried one, then the other, no change.

Going with the possible PSU problem, I disconnected all the case fans and one DVD drive, didnt make any difference that I could see.

Temps on the CPU, motherboard and GPU all appear to be normal.

You say every time its been turned off for long periods it is harder to turn back on, have you noticed any time errors lately or resets? try changing your CMOS battery

It could be your CPU overheating. Check your cooler is properly secured. If it isn't, remove it, clean the heatsink base and the CPU IHS with isopropyl alcohol, and reapply TIM before putting the cooler back on.

No, I haven't noticed any time errors at all. Once Windows loads up, everything seems very normal, no errors etc.

I checked all the pins holding down the heatsink, they seem to be ok also. Fan is working good. Temps from the CPU are around 30-35C.

I just replaced my Ultra with a Corsair HX520W PSU and guess what, all is good again.

Apparently Ultras arent so "ultra" lol

I payed liked $30 for it after rebate over a year ago, not even worth the time to me.

The Corsair is pretty nice though, the cables are much easier to work with seem to have a "tighter" fit also, which is good IMO.

Back
Top Bottom