Very Annoying Shutdown Error in XP

guitardude777

In Runtime
Starting a few days ago, every time I shut down or restart my computer, a small grey box pops up that says- update: run-time error '53' File not found. I've tried disabling everything at startup so that nothing is running when I shut the computer down, but the error is still there. Anyone know how to get rid of this stupid error? I'm absolutely positive that I don't have any viruses or spyware, so that's not the cause of the error.

I just uninstalled Java and reinstalled it, but I still get the error when I shut down the computer. The error message doesn't dell me what the file causing the error is, so I have absolutely no idea how to get rid of it. It must be a component of Windows that is causing the error, because I've already tried shutting the computer down with absolutely no programs running in the background. The only ones left are windows processes.

I had a quick run around with Google too, the only one I found that said he'd fixed it was a reinstall of XP.

Runtime is a java C++ type file error (out of my league I can't programme to save myself)

You could try sfc /scannow (System File Checker) by opening the run command and typing it in, e.g. Start > Run > sfc /scannow > OK

You'll need your XP cd in the drive too just incase a damaged file needs to be replaced.

Other than that i've got nothing, sorry.

The system file checker sounds like a good idea; I'm trying that right now. If that doesn't work maybe I will uninstall Java again and delete all the remnants of it on the system and then reinstall it. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to reinstall windows. I can reinstall windows without losing any data on my pc right?

When I run the Windows XP disc I only have the option for a new installation or upgrade. Under upgrade, it says that it will preserve all of my files. Do you think that if I select upgrade it will reinstall windows?

Okay now I'm really screwed and I wish I wouldn't have attempted to fix this error. I did a repair on Windows with the XP Disc where it's supposed to repair windows but leave everything else in tact. It repaired windows, but now when I boot from the drive it is stuck on a black screen after the Windows XP screen. Now I need to try and fix this. Does anyone know why it's stuck on a black screen and how I can fix it without reformatting and starting from scratch??

I really don't wanna try that, because I have a feeling it will get stuck in safe mode. I tried it on a friend's computer once and that's what happened. What about the option on the Windows XP disc to repair windows with the recovery console?

Back
Top Bottom