EEEPC Or Battery for R32??

the reason that the EEE PC is meant to be a secondary PC (aside from it's obvious small size) is that the solid state memory can only be written to a finite number of times, (that's why some recomend not putting XP on it as the RAM cahcing to disk will actually reduce the life of the system) that said, if you use the default Linux installation then i think that it'll probably last as long as a normal hard drive would.

personally, If I had an EEE pc i'd use it as my main system, just cause it's so cool.

Get a battery.

I've been considering a new laptop for almost a year now. My 2.5 year old HP DV1000 was pissing me off because of multiple freeze-ups, problems, and a horrible battery life. I use it for college so I NEED battery life; a wall outlet is simply not a reality for a Bio major. ^_^

That said, I came SO close to buying a new laptop, but I'm so glad I didn't. I spent $120 and got myself the bigger battery for my laptop. After reformatting it and charging the new battery, my DV1000 became my pride and joy.

I get almost SIX hours of battery life with only word processing and no wifi, and about 4.5 hours with wifi on and constantly surfing the web, editing videos and listening to music. Its amazing not to have to worry about battery life.

I don't know if what I did would be applicable in your situation since you mentioned that your laptop isn't too portable, but a battery would be a great option.

the reason that the EEE PC is meant to be a secondary PC (aside from it's obvious small size) is that the solid state memory can only be written to a finite number of times, (that's why some recomend not putting XP on it as the RAM cahcing to disk will actually reduce the life of the system) that said, if you use the default Linux installation then i think that it'll probably last as long as a normal hard drive would.

personally, If I had an EEE pc i'd use it as my main system, just cause it's so cool.

I had no idea this limit existed... interesting.

If this is true (not doubting you at all) then won't the Macbook Air's SSD users be out of luck? Especially if you're a business user that might write multiple times per session?

Or is the limit somewhere in the range of hundred thousands to millions?

Yeah i remeber hearing about that downfall in USB Memory.

If this is true (not doubting you at all) then won't the Macbook Air's SSD users be out of luck? Especially if you're a business user that might write multiple times per session?

Or is the limit somewhere in the range of hundred thousands to millions?

You're far more likely to get a new computer, before the drive reaches its total limit.

Fastest, no doubt, but I for one would rather have a 5200 RPM hard drive that can hold more data.

If/when I get a laptop, it wont be quite as small as the eeepc, but it wont be huge either.

You're far more likely to get a new computer, before the drive reaches its total limit.

Exactly. I think I remember seeing something that said you could format a SSD twice a day for three years and still not come close to reaching the limit.

Back
Top Bottom