manual vs auto

I would so much like a manual over auto, but the deal is, I never learned how to properly drive a manual and don't want to wreck my dad's truck learning... I know how to drive auto. As others have said, it would be so annoying to drive in traffic with a manual. Manual trans are more reliable if you drive it right. If I drove manual I'd have to learn how to hold the steering wheel with my left hand to have my right hand open to shift...

If you can drive an auto right you can get a pretty good acceleration from a piece of crap car. I think I can get my 4 cylinder auto '92 Ford Tempo from 0-60 in 8-10 seconds without over revving the engine between shifts. That's not too bad for an old car that it is. It has terrible pickup going up hills though. It's just how you drive it.

I've driven through traffic quite a bit in my stick and it's fine. If anything it keeps me awake from the boredom of being stuck in traffic.

are you going to be stuck in traffic a lot? as long as you're not bumper to bumper daily it won't get annoying. the only thing that is tough is when you're with a girl and she wants to "hold your hand, or go down ;-)) and you have to shift. but other than that manual all the way.

i get stuck in traffic all the time (ive driven the M25 quite a few times and if you get above 20 your doing well lol) and its no problem at all.. you get used to it. personally i dislike driving autos.. just get real bored with them..

I would so much like a manual over auto, but the deal is, I never learned how to properly drive a manual and don't want to wreck my dad's truck learning... I know how to drive auto. As others have said, it would be so annoying to drive in traffic with a manual. Manual trans are more reliable if you drive it right. If I drove manual I'd have to learn how to hold the steering wheel with my left hand to have my right hand open to shift...

If you can drive an auto right you can get a pretty good acceleration from a piece of crap car. I think I can get my 4 cylinder auto '92 Ford Tempo from 0-60 in 8-10 seconds without over revving the engine between shifts. That's not too bad for an old car that it is. It has terrible pickup going up hills though. It's just how you drive it.

they arent that difficult to learn really, just gotta feel out the biting point and learn how to accelerate properly, i think that everyone should have to learn in a manual, teaches more car control, and also means that you can drive both manual and auto, best of both worlds.. then you can have and drive whatever you want.. i do like the drop down on autos though, that is fun... but still not as much fun as dropping it down a gear to overtake..

I think everyone should learn how to drive a manual, if you can drive that, you can drive anything.

I disagree with your last point Mark. At least here. There are too many idiots on the road to be forced to learn to drive a manual, I'd be worried for my life. lol

Get a mazda 3 manual. If its a nice car, manual

If its like a hyundai or a toyota, get an auto. Cant really have fun with a manual in a toyota

You will also get better mpg from a manual transmission then from an Auto as you have much more control over shift points etc.
Manual Trans cars are also quicker then autos, so for example if you take to of the exact same car same engine etc you will find that the manual trans car will be faster by a little bit. Faster 0-60 etc.You have quite a bit more control over speeds etc in a manual.

Personally i prefer Manual Trans, so if your looking for quick sporty and fun then buy a manual but if your looking for comfort, cruising, long journeys etc then maybe an auto would be more suited.

Thats my 0.02cents :D

Anyway I'm rambling, on to autos...

If you hate shifting or live in an area with bad traffic, go for it. Also useful if you plan on doing one of the following in the car while driving:
Talking on a cell phone
Eating
Drinking
Eating and drinking
Eating and drinking and talking on the cellphone
Reading
Playing Game Boy
Racing your 6-second quarter mile car
Or bracket racing in general
[/thread]
Crap, I do all those, except the gameboy... got a psp, and the reading... abd tge 6 second quarter mile... I'm going for a 7 still.. slow POS, lol.

If you hate shifting or live in an area with bad traffic, go for it. Also useful if you plan on doing one of the following in the car while driving:
Talking on a cell phone
Eating
Drinking
Eating and drinking
Eating and drinking and talking on the cellphone
Reading
Playing Game Boy

[/thread]

and if you do any one of those while driving, i'll make sure to slap you. :rolleyes:

You will also get better mpg from a manual transmission then from an Auto as you have much more control over shift points etc.
Manual Trans cars are also quicker then autos, so for example if you take to of the exact same car same engine etc you will find that the manual trans car will be faster by a little bit. Faster 0-60 etc.You have quite a bit more control over speeds etc in a manual.

Personally i prefer Manual Trans, so if your looking for quick sporty and fun then buy a manual but if your looking for comfort, cruising, long journeys etc then maybe an auto would be more suited.

Thats my 0.02cents :D

Keep in mind that not every single situation applies to your statement here. There are many cases where the automatic version of the car is rated as being faster than the manual (ie. my Mustang GT, Porsche 997 T, Saturn Sky, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom