error message

mbruce

Solid State Member
i think i have a virus or something... i cannot open any files. i get this message...This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder option contol panel. my computer is brand new, but i tried to do a system restore and that did not work either. i also did a virus scan but none were detected. please help.

cannot open any files. anything i have on my desk top i get that message. and i cannot open any files in my programs list. cannot open anything in my control panel.

Can you access the start menu, if so go to accessories , system tools, then try system restore, and go back a day or two

Sometimes this problem does not allow you to open system restore in the normal fashion. If it does, just do it that way, but if it doesn't, try doing it in safe mode. Restart your computer and choose to boot in safe mode with command prompt. In the command prompt enter

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This should start system restore. Now just choose an early system restore point before the errors showed up.

i did a system restore and when it rebooted up i got this message... the instruction at "0x0040934e" referenced memory at "0x00163000". the memory could not be read. ok to terminate the program or cancel to debug the program. so i did cancel and it sent me back to the system restore page. did another restore and when it rebooted again i clicked ok to terminate the program and my desktop came up with no icons. so i had to do a hard shutdown and when it rebooted everything went back to normal. so it seems to work fine now but someone tell me why it happened and what to do so it doesnt happen again.

no didn't remove anything. downloaded VLC Media player last night though. maybe it was that?

Back
Top Bottom