BIG Starting up issue

I know I am seeming like a big noob at this point, but I seriously need help with this repair business. If I press enter I get windows install. If I press r, I go to repair console. I am unsure what to do at both those points. plz help. thanks.

My specs (already in the sig but i will write it down anyway)
Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
4 GB kingston 800MHz (4x1GB)
Palit 8800GT
Asus P5K
Superflower 600W PSU
Seagate 250GB @7500rpm 16MB internal

My cpu temp is 30C and my mobo temp is 40C
The system doesn't have any dust inside as it is just 3 weeks old
I first had a Gigabyte P35 DS3P mobo, but since i was having the restarting issue i got the mobo changed(the memtest was failing, the ram modules were checked and were not found to be faulty. Hence the new mobo) But even after installing the new mobo, i've been getting the startup problems, but the frequency is now reduced (where the computer restarts after the winxp logon screen). The thing is when i ran the memtest after installing the new mobo, there were no errors in it.
I am also getting a new problem now, the bios and the OS doesnt recognise the asus dvd burner(sometimes but not always)
Any help will be much appreciated and thanks truefolder for ur reply.

Edit: Do u think i need to update my bios to solve the dvdburner issue (my current bios version is 0704)
I haven't kept up to date with the P5K bios releases since I got my P5E3 (my P5K is sitting here with a Q6600 in it waiting for a video card lol) so you would have to refer to the release notes (if Asus bothered to release any) to see what the new bios releases fix.

I'm tending toward the psu to be honest, if Memetest is giving the memory a clean bill of health then I really think the possibility of two different brand boards having virtually the same problem is pretty long odds.

What memory is it? KVR or HyperX? Also how long did you run Memtest?

Have you checked the 12v output from the psu with a multimeter to see what voltage the board is actually getting? (both idle and load), if the 12v falls below 11.5v then that will most probably be the cause of your problem. Can you try a different psu?

With your rom drive, is IDE or SATA? Have you tried a different cable and different port? (if it is SATA) I've had faulty brand new IDE cables from Asus before.

Thank you very vrey much :) , but when I press Enter, it starts to install windows and brings me to a screen with some more choices, and F8 does nothing. :(
Mate that's what it is supposed to do, that's why it is called a repair install

F8 is to agree to the licence agreement, if you're not on the licence agreement page when you press F8 then it will do nothing.

Link to Microsoft "How to" Repair Install (pretty much the same as above)

This is scarey though

But now, the Power Supply will not stop making a very loud roar.
I would presume that the "roar" is generated by your psu fan going ballistic, which would indicate a faulty psu

How do i check the temperature via the BIOS?? I hit the "delete" key to enter "Setup"
You hit delete to enter setup, then use your arrow keys to navigate the pages in the bios, usually on asus boards in the power tab is an entry called Hardware Monitor, you need to highlight that (by navigating to it using the arrow keys) then hit enter, this will display your pc temps

I haven't kept up to date with the P5K bios releases since I got my P5E3 (my P5K is sitting here with a Q6600 in it waiting for a video card lol) so you would have to refer to the release notes (if Asus bothered to release any) to see what the new bios releases fix.

I'm tending toward the psu to be honest, if Memetest is giving the memory a clean bill of health then I really think the possibility of two different brand boards having virtually the same problem is pretty long odds.

What memory is it? KVR or HyperX? Also how long did you run Memtest?

Have you checked the 12v output from the psu with a multimeter to see what voltage the board is actually getting? (both idle and load), if the 12v falls below 11.5v then that will most probably be the cause of your problem. Can you try a different psu?

With your rom drive, is IDE or SATA? Have you tried a different cable and different port? (if it is SATA) I've had faulty brand new IDE cables from Asus before.

I've got KVR memory and I ran the memtest twice for 6 hours each.
I haven't checked the 12v output from the psu (i don't have a multimeter:p)
I will try a different psu but the problem is that this startup issue doesnt occur frequently (it was very frequent with my older mobo) so I am not sure whether i can diagnose this problem with the new psu very soon. I am also inclined towards the psu. This is because whenever i unplug the mains and then plug it in again, and when I push the power button, the psu runs for 2 seconds, then stops and then runs again normally.
My rom drive is IDE, i've checked asus forums and people say that asus recommends the use of sata drives on the p5k. I might get a sata drive soon.

And true folder, i see that you are from australia as well. I am looking to buy vista home premium but I see that the prices are pretty high in australia. I am thinking of buying it from a US website and get it shipped here. What do u think abt it, or is there any store here which sells it cheaper than the others(online stores preferable).

I've got KVR memory and I ran the memtest twice for 6 hours each.
I haven't checked the 12v output from the psu (i don't have a multimeter:p)
I will try a different psu but the problem is that this startup issue doesnt occur frequently (it was very frequent with my older mobo) so I am not sure whether i can diagnose this problem with the new psu very soon.
Some boards are more "tolerant" than others when it comes to voltage variations which may explain the difference between the two boards.
I am also inclined towards the psu. This is because whenever i unplug the mains and then plug it in again, and when I push the power button, the psu runs for 2 seconds, then stops and then runs again normally.
This is normal on late model boards, it is a part of POST (Power On Self Test) both my P5K and P5E3 do it.
My rom drive is IDE, i've checked asus forums and people say that asus recommends the use of sata drives on the p5k. I might get a sata drive soon.
I really find this bad on Asus' part if it is true, why even bother putting an IDE channel on the board if it is not going to work ?? Try a different cable anyway just to see, also do you have the drives jumper set to Master (if it is the only IDE drive, slave if it isn't the only drive) and is it on the "end" plug if it is slave (or cable select)

And true folder, i see that you are from australia as well. I am looking to buy vista home premium but I see that the prices are pretty high in australia. I am thinking of buying it from a US website and get it shipped here. What do u think abt it, or is there any store here which sells it cheaper than the others(online stores preferable).
I use StaticIce to check online pricing and buy stuff or Hardly Normal as I get a reasonable discount there for buying a fair few games.

Ya, I did that in the "Setup" area, but there is no place which displays system temperatures. I was thinking that there was another area which I hadn't seen or been in to. Thanks anyway.

I also wonder if the PSU could be doing this. I have ordered another case with a 500w PSU. I think I will wait for it to arrive, transfer the parts, and then see what I'm dealing with.

Id get some new ram if everything else fails....maybe buy a cheap brand to see if it works and if it was the ram then go for some more high quality stuff.

Ya, I did that in the "Setup" area, but there is no place which displays system temperatures. I was thinking that there was another area which I hadn't seen or been in to. Thanks anyway.

I also wonder if the PSU could be doing this. I have ordered another case with a 500w PSU. I think I will wait for it to arrive, transfer the parts, and then see what I'm dealing with.

I would agree with the PSU, but from what I understand its shutting off at the same time, everytime you try to load windows...

Will it shut off if you just press "del" and sit in the BIOS for 10-30 mins???

then it would point to be something more hardware oriented.

Have you sufficient cooling?, is the CPU hot?, you say this is a new computer, was it bought from a shop? take it back it must be under warranty, I'm wondering if there isn't enough thermal paste between CPU & HEATSINC, is your graphics card seated correctly?, have you tried starting your PC with just one stick of ram in? swapped the over?, has this computer been over clocked?

Back
Top Bottom