Passwords: The not to use

just another tip i sometimes use i think of a word ill remember and turn it into hex and use that as my password ;)

Why bother? My password always contains less than 12 letters and I have never been hacked. Don't be paranoic lol,such people get hacked :)

usually you don't really need to worry about these passwords. The only reason longer passwords with upper and lower case letters, numbers etc are better is because it takes longer to bruteforce them.

And well.. if there is nothing important it's not likely that anyone will try to bruteforce your password. It takes a lot of time.

I recommend using a combination of something random that you will remember such as the word "Canada" but replacing the a's with numbers for example like "C4n4d4" it makes it much more difficult to crack.

And this has been happened on myspace, I hate myspace by the way,
People hack your account and post bullitons advertising stuff... everybody was like, How are they getting my password? So I looked into it and found that alot of the links you click on in Myspace asks you to relog in.
So I made a post, send a message to tom and said, Check the address bar, if you are ever asked to relog in make sure it says login.myspace.com (or whatever) or just re-type in myspace.com.

and tom, being the bastard he is, Made a blog about it and said " I figured it out!" and basically copied everything I sent him and posted it as a blog thats on everyones main page. almost word for word :p
I hate Tom.
yeah, I figured that out a long time ago as well, tried to educate friends.

Toms blog post just made the situation worse, things used to go to a site like
myspce.cn/login?us_en=1&xyz=bez or something similar
now they go to a page that looks just like the login url.

login.myspace.com.login.us_en.cn/?login or something, so people do actually see the words login.myspace.com

reading the address (and looking carefully) or anti phishing plugins are really the only way around this ind of attack.

there is a random password generator, you are best off getting a thing it keep passwords
but then you need to store the passwords. this is fine until something happens to you like happened to me.
(someone (exgf) booted my computer in safe mode, logged in as administrator/blank and then had access to the password generator and stored passwords).

I recommend using a combination of something random that you will remember such as the word "Canada" but replacing the a's with numbers for example like "C4n4d4" it makes it much more difficult to crack.
as you'll see earlier, most dictionary attack passwords are clever enough to figure out 1337 5p34k (leet speak)

so replacing letters with numbers is not always for the best.

canada, is a dictionary word, so your replacement password (assuming a good brute force cracker) will probably only last about a tenth of a second longer.

I heard a long time ago that the most common password was actually money

best passwords are ones that are made of letters and numbers, that you can also remember.

for example a goog password might consist of your families birthdays something like
jan!07*dec!01
(assuming that your mum and dad were born jan 7th and dec1st or something like that.

it's easy for you to remember, you don't have to write it down.

personally i have a set of passwords that I use.

my email passwords
general web accounts
online banking/credit cards

these are three completly different passwords, I know that generally if I sign up for a forum I'll use the weak general password, if this gets cracked then it's no big worry.

my email passwords are more secure since this can generally be used to recover other passwords

my online banking passwords are just as secure, as my email passwords, but completly different.

I like to take a certain phrase and encode it first in ROT13, and then encode that in BASE64. For example, spartan89d would become

ZmNuZWduYTg5cQ==

These passwords aren't easy to memorize, so I sometimes have to just remember the phrase or word and encode it again. Hacking done by guessing is usually done by brute force password crackers. These use lists though, which are usually just a list of words in a dictionary + something like the top 1000 most popular phrases on the internet. I don't know about you, but I don't use the phrase 'ZmNuZWduYTg5cQ==' very often.

I use a combination of letters and numbers and punctuation marks, but Fedora told be it was a dictionary word:eek: what dictionary are you using?

I just keep all my passwords to me, myself and I:) Everyone wants me to divulge the router passwords but me thinks not so i get shouted at when something goes wrong cos Im the only one who can fix it (i blame the ISP:D )

After someone hacks your password, if its a computer password they can go into cmd.exe and just net user your password to something you cant access.

So basically, keep a strong password.

Common Passwords:

God, Love, Secret

(Thanks to the movie Hacker)

My mates ditched me not long ago because i wasn't skating with them anymore..
One of the group is a myspace nerd and the other is a an upthemself try-hard hacker-viruser. all the other guys are chill. but these guys hacked my myspace, deleted it all, and hacked my youtube and violated it. i had to make a new myspace and delete my youtube after i hacked em back. because they changed the passwords. i changed it to something easily remembered, but nobody would think of it. still devd because i had like 30 10 min vids on youtube, all that i edited my self.
But its life.
cheers

Back
Top Bottom