I'm looking for some elevation/terrain mapping software

I was wondering if anyone knows a program or website I can go to that could help me map elevation changes? As well as air miles to the location and a terrain view. I have not used google earth for a while but I'm going to download it and see what all tools that has. I know its more of a novelty item that is the last time I played around with it. Is there anything that will fit my needs better?

What I want this for is trying to figure out if I can get a decent line of site to hit a tower for better reception. I'm going to be buying a external antenna to mount but I'd like to get a idea of how high its going to need to be in the air to get over the hills and tree line to hit the tower the best. The more useless coax I run the more loss in the cable. So I want to get the bare minimum length for the best results while being at the right height.

I'm not even sure if the tower is higher than me or actually lower from the top of the tower so I'm hoping to find something that could possibly give me a birds eye perspective of the terrain with latitude and longitude tracking so I know the exact angle I need to mount for placement as well as optimum height.

Edit:

Well I pretty much answered my question and I'm quite suprised at how powerful google earth really is.

I've started mapping everything so far. It appears where my place is at I'm actually higher than both the tower baseline elevations. So the towers should be slightly over my height. Here is my map so far.

VerizonTowerMappingElevation.jpg

Back
Top Bottom