Dell Computer problems

ati005

In Runtime
I have 2 Dell GX270 PCs. I got them free, but there seems to be a problem with both of them. On 1, the pc starts up, xp loading screen comes and then the monitor just goes on standby. Sometimes it doesnt show anything and it just goes on standby. I tried swapping the CPU, RAM and PSU with the other computers but i still get the problem. ive also tried updating bios firmware and reformatting hard drive and reinstalling windows.

On the second pc, as soon as i start it up it says something like overheat and then shuts down.

They are both small form factor pcs also and take small psu and laptop cd-rom drives.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

As for the 2nd PC: Open it up and clean the parts. A thorough cleaning should do it some good. Also wouldn't hurt to do it for the other one. For the first, this happened with a Dell at my school. Try another monitor.

Problem = dell

Seriously though, clean them, you probably need a new heatsink for the second one (i bet there isnt even a heatsink on there)

For the first one, idk

ive tried cleaning the pcs, but it doesnt make a difference. and i cant install the graphics drivers because i cant even get into xp. sometimes the screen just goes on standby when the computer is switched on.

Is the HSF properly secured? Try removing it, cleaning the base and the IHS, reapplying TIM and putting the HSF back on.

Will it work if i tried a new graphics adapter? and where can i get an AGP graphics adapter for small form factor case. i have a normal AGPgraphics adapter but the case wont close with it

Try another monitor.
Did you try this yet, and what were the results? Also, you might want to load into an xp disk if you have one and doing the repair, that has worked for me at times.

yes, i have tried another monitor, i get same results. pc loads up but the screen just goes on standby. i have tried reformatting, repairing,reinstalling xp, using vga enabled mode, safemode, but all have same result. when in safe mode, it gets a bit further like onto the xp welcome screen and then monitor goes on standby.

Back
Top Bottom