BIG Starting up issue

Aryonas

Baseband Member
My problem is: I was on MSN when my computer began to LAG badly and seemed to be "locking-up." I shut-down my computer, I thought a restart would fix the problem. When I turned the computer back on, it went to the black screen that I have seen several times which gives the options, Start Windows In Safe Mode, Start in Network thinggy, Start In Last Known Working Configuration, Start Windows Normally and some other option I can't remember. I have tried starting in Safe Mode, Starting in last known working configuration AND starting windows normally. With each option I tried, it got so far as the Windows "loading screen." Then it would sort of restart again and return to the black screen. I don't know what to do. I need help Please! :( Thanks

What are your cpu/motherboard temps in the bios?

What is the inside of your case like dust wise?

Sounds like it is shutting down due to heat or faulty hardware, have you changed any hardware or installed any software lately that you haven't mentioned?

can both of you fill in these types of details (and mdtajghori your pc specs) it would make things a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Cheers.

My specs (already in the sig but i will write it down anyway)
Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
4 GB kingston 800MHz (4x1GB)
Palit 8800GT
Asus P5K
Superflower 600W PSU
Seagate 250GB @7500rpm 16MB internal

My cpu temp is 30C and my mobo temp is 40C
The system doesn't have any dust inside as it is just 3 weeks old
I first had a Gigabyte P35 DS3P mobo, but since i was having the restarting issue i got the mobo changed(the memtest was failing, the ram modules were checked and were not found to be faulty. Hence the new mobo) But even after installing the new mobo, i've been getting the startup problems, but the frequency is now reduced (where the computer restarts after the winxp logon screen). The thing is when i ran the memtest after installing the new mobo, there were no errors in it.
I am also getting a new problem now, the bios and the OS doesnt recognise the asus dvd burner(sometimes but not always)
Any help will be much appreciated and thanks truefolder for ur reply.

Edit: Do u think i need to update my bios to solve the dvdburner issue (my current bios version is 0704)

I have not installed any new hardware, or removed any old. BUT, I should mention, that before this problem started, I came down one morning and turned on my computer. Right away I heard a loud ROAR. I took apart the case quickly and traced the noise to the Power Supply. So I shut off the comp and started it again, and the sound was gone. It happened about twice more after that. But now, the Power Supply will not stop making a very loud roar.

Otherwise, the case is fairly dust-free. I do need to know something very noobish: How do i check the temperature via the BIOS?? I hit the "delete" key to enter "Setup" because when I hit "Tab" to display "Post BIOS Message" I don't get a thing.

Thanks.

I would do a windows repair, then re-install the latest drivers off the manufactures website right off the bat.

How to do a Windows Repair BY LambOfGod

1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.

good luck man

Thank you very much. I have to ask, if I do the process you have outlined, will I lose all of my saved data (similar to a wipe)?? I would rather not lose my files, just like anybody else, but I have school work I would like to easily keep. But if it is not possible for me to keep my data, I will continue with what you out-lined. Thank you.

Thank you very much. I have to ask, if I do the process you have outlined, will I lose all of my saved data (similar to a wipe)?? I would rather not lose my files, just like anybody else, but I have school work I would like to easily keep. But if it is not possible for me to keep my data, I will continue with what you out-lined. Thank you.

You will not loose any data my friend.

A repair install replaces the system files but should leave applications and settings intact. Just in case, though, back up your data and any apps you don't have CDs for. Back up the Windows Activation Key at c:\windows\system32\WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK too.

(I have done this hundreds of times and you dont loose data, but with PC's its always good to be on the safe side)

Thank you very vrey much :) , but when I press Enter, it starts to install windows and brings me to a screen with some more choices, and F8 does nothing. :(

Back
Top Bottom