Is Someone Spying on Me?

seriously most people fear that the it techs etc at their place of work spy on them personally and it makes me laugh
think about it this way how many people at your workplace are issued laptops capable of playing dvd's , and how many it techs are there in your workplace , the IT department arent particularly interested in you watching a few dvd's on a laptop or you browsing a few personal websites during work hours they have far more importsant work to be getting on with , although it is wholy possible for them to check exactly what you have been up to this is purley for legal reasons if any legal accusations are made they dont actually sit there in there office watching exactly what your doing unless strictly told to do so by someone and this is rare as it is a complete waste of time and money just to watch you playing a few games etc trust me these guys have more important work to be doing they wouldnt pay people a full IT tech wage to sit there watching you browinsg an internet forum or finding out what DVD's you have been watching at home , so long as you get your work done as you said above there wont be any problems

How can I scan my laptop computer for such spy software or other things that would track and identify my DVD use? As it is a "work" computer, owned by my organization, I cannot down load any programs to it nor can I delete any programs. I was just hoping someone would tell me how to scan the computer using the software that is in place: Windows XP, Microsoft Office, etc.
I did a search of program files and found a number of programs that I cannot identify. Should I list some of those here?

You're looking for an answer but wanting to tie our hands in the process. Having said that, finding anything would depend on what player software you use. If you tell us that then we can go from there.
I would just go down to your IT dept and ask if looking at a movie on your own time on thier machine was ok. If they say yes it's ok then go watch another movie. If they say no it's not ok fess up playing ignorant of the policy. And don't do it again.
It's that simple. Like one of the poster's said IT's have more important things to be concerned about than you watching a movie on a company machine.

try going onto the add/remove programs thing if it will let you in, and then you can see what programs are installed, and google the names of the programs that come up, should tell you what youve got on there..

I think your okay, but didn't you think, before putting the DVD in, "they may monitor this?"

^ I agree. Finding what program run on startup is usually the best way to find out whats running on your computer. It is very likely that whatever software they will use to record what you do on your computer will not be in the add/remove program menu.

Ok, I try the run msconfig trick to see what running on start up.
The name of the software the runs the video is "PowerDVD." Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Regarding running the msconfig, is this done in DOS or do you just type in msconfig in the "run" field?

Ok, I try the run msconfig trick to see what running on start up.
The name of the software the runs the video is "PowerDVD." Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Regarding running the msconfig, is this done in DOS or do you just type in msconfig in the "run" field?

i will say again you are being completely paranoid
trust me your it techs have far more important work to be doing than bothering to check what DVD's you have been watching on a work laptop in your own time to them your not really that interesting your just another network user as long as your job gets done like you said in a previous post you wont have any problems cos the IT techs wont even be suspicious that you have been doing things you shouldnt whilst you should be working honestly they have just as much work as you do they dont just sit there monitoring what you do 24/7 , would you hire a fully trained IT tech just to see a list of what an employee has been waching on a laptop ion their own time cos i know i wouldnt

why on earth would they monitor dvds? ... if anything at all. its just silly dude. your an adult (i think) not a child. heck even at my 6th form they cba to monitor us that much, thats why i get away with murder :)

Back
Top Bottom