EXTREMELY slow internet browsing when downloading just a fraction of bandwidth

first of all, is it a 2Mb connection or a 2MB connection?
With a 2Mb connection your max download speed would be about 250kB/s.

Usually when the same thing happens to me resetting the router works. Then I can download & browse the internet at the same time for a while. Probably have to reboot my router about once or twice a month. But if I understood correctly rebooting the router didn't solve your problem.

I recommend that you try lowering the amount of connection your torrent client creates. Right now I have utorrent set to 170 connection max, it's quite a low amount but works fine for me. I'd recommend you try setting it to for example 200 and seeing if this helps.

one more thing.

....pathetic...

Exactly my thoughts. He wants to download at 1800Kbps and he has his upload set at 5Kb.

Give me a break if everyone did that it would take 360 people just for you to download at 1800Kbps.

I have a less than stellar speed but I upload about 40% of my bandwith. Honestly I'm glad you can't get a good download speed.

Why should you get a ultra fast download when you are not helping anyone else get a faster download?

Quite being greedy. I'll assume your upload is at least 256Kbps so at least set it to use 75-100Kbps.

Oh, sorry about that typo..yeah should've been 2Mb...that's my bandwidth

but I mean like even if I have one torrent going at maybe oh, 15 or 20 kB, my internet browsing just grinds to a hault..so I'm not sure..even if my bandwidth is 250K, that's still a big margin of headroom that I should be able to use for surfing...I'll fix setting in Azurez and let everyone know

Oh and to the above, I have a linksys router...not sure what the model is off the top of my head...

I'm assuming WRTG5. Their firmware is shit. Search for DD-WRT Firmware and your internet will stop shutting down.

or you could try using bitlord and see if that helps,

That would not solve the problem of his internet shutting down, and having to restart the router. I know what problem he is having. I had the same problem. Using programs like Azureus and Utorrent would knock off my default gateway making it so I had to restart my router. I googled this error and came across DD-WRT Firmware which fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom