EXTREMELY slow internet browsing when downloading just a fraction of bandwidth

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Now, I'm not a newbie to torrents, but somethings going whack here, and I have no idea how to fix it. I use Azurez/U Torrent to manage my torrents, as it seemed to work better than a few others I used before. However, whenever I decide to dl a torrent, my internet browsing really slows down....even when the torrent is only downloading a fraction of my DSL bandwidth (I have 2MB DSL, and have confirmed this)...I know I'm not being throttled either...

The weird thing is, when I have Azurez open downloading torrents, let's say, 150KB/S, Frostwire (basically LimeWire Pro for free if you didn't know) works just as speedy as it would if I weren't downloading anything..it's just mainly slowing down internet explorer and I don't know why!

Also, my internet remains "frozen" you could say, until I reset my router (unplug for 10 sec)...shutting down Azurez doesn't help at all...

My computer is pretty top notch, so I know it's not that...
Intel Core 2 Duo 6420
Asus 650 SLI Mobo
320GB Seagate HDD
4GB Patriot 6400 Ram....etc, etc...

Any thoughts?
Much appretiated!

Thanks,
Zac

BTW:
I have tried multiple settings in U Torrent
I have it set right now to dl at 85% of my bandwidth, about 1800KB and upload at 5KB.

Has this just started when you began to use the Torrent Manager or did it start recently? If it's the download manager then you should try another one.

Began when I began using the torrent manager, but it happened with BitTorrent manager as well....no matter what settings I optimize with....

first of all, is it a 2Mb connection or a 2MB connection?
With a 2Mb connection your max download speed would be about 250kB/s.

Usually when the same thing happens to me resetting the router works. Then I can download & browse the internet at the same time for a while. Probably have to reboot my router about once or twice a month. But if I understood correctly rebooting the router didn't solve your problem.

I recommend that you try lowering the amount of connection your torrent client creates. Right now I have utorrent set to 170 connection max, it's quite a low amount but works fine for me. I'd recommend you try setting it to for example 200 and seeing if this helps.

one more thing.
dude_56013 said:
upload at 5KB.
....pathetic...

Oh, sorry about that typo..yeah should've been 2Mb...that's my bandwidth

but I mean like even if I have one torrent going at maybe oh, 15 or 20 kB, my internet browsing just grinds to a hault..so I'm not sure..even if my bandwidth is 250K, that's still a big margin of headroom that I should be able to use for surfing...I'll fix setting in Azurez and let everyone know

Oh and to the above, I have a linksys router...not sure what the model is off the top of my head...

and, sorry about that up speed...I was confused as all crap with kB and Mb the way it was....it's now set at 25K....now that I know what the crap my speed is haha

stupid companies trying to rip people off by advertising confusing things...it would've been much easier to compare had they put 250K DSL instead of 2Mb

Torrents are highly aggressive, and can cause many problems.

The most common is maxing out the TCPIP Half Open limit. If you see alot of errors in event viewer that are code "4226" you know this is your problem.

Back
Top Bottom