Pentium 4 HT Oveclock

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
Since I overclocked my Pentium 4 HT 3.00 ghz to 4.02 ghz it has been working fine and running at 47ºC. Howver I am now getting the occasional blue screen, anybody know why? Also I installed vista on the PC today after a format and its telling me that I have run out of days to activate!!!!!

Since I overclocked my Pentium 4 HT 3.00 ghz to 4.02 ghz it has been working fine and running at 47ºC. Howver I am now getting the occasional blue screen, anybody know why?
Your overclock is not stable. Increase your Vcore. But first, what are your other voltages and what is your RAM running at?

Also I installed vista on the PC today after a format and its telling me that I have run out of days to activate!!!!!
Call Microsoft's automated phone line and reactivate your copy.

Thanks for the reply. My RAM was originally running at 400mhz, with the overclock it is now at 443mhz. The "CPU host frequency" is 267 (originally 200) and the multiplier is 15x. The FSB is 800mhz. I looked for Vcore in my BIOS but I cannot change it, it just says "OK" next to it.

Do you have liquid cooling? Otherwise how is it stable? The Prescotts were the freaking hottest pieces of kit ever! They idled at like 10ºC higher than the Core2Extreme's during gaming...

Do you have liquid cooling? Otherwise how is it stable? The Prescotts were the freaking hottest pieces of kit ever! They idled at like 10ºC higher than the Core2Extreme's during gaming...

I agree. Try a different piece of software to mesure your temps. PC Wizard, Everest etc...

And turn your OC back to 3.8, run Prime95, and see if you still get a BSOD.

Thanks for the replies. I used the BIOS to measure the temperature after I had the PC on for a while although it still would have been idle, I don't have liquid cooling, its even using the stock fan. Also, sorry, but why 3.8ghz?

The BIOS will be giving the correct readings.
Also, sorry, but why 3.8ghz?
Because it's obviously not stable at 4GHz. And if you can't increase the voltages, you're never going to be able to get it stable.

3GHz to 4GHz is a big step up, without proper cooling it will deffo overheat, iv overclocked my p4 630 from 3GHz to 3.6GHz and it runs at about 35c idle, but would never go over 3.6Ghz, i would take it down to 3.8 or 3.6 to be on the safe side...

Thanks again, I'm jus taking it down to 3.6ghz now, although I'm not worried about temperature because if it get too hot, then I will buy a better heatsink, or put some thermal paste on it. The strange thing is that not only does vista think its not activated - even though I keep activating it successfully (also tried over phone), but xp won't install either.

P4s can take quite a bit. As long as it's under 65c under full load then it's fine.
strange thing is that not only does vista think its not activated - even though I keep activating it successfully
Do you have this copy of Vista installed on another PC?

Back
Top Bottom