My E3110 experience begins

A True Folder

Fully Optimized
Well it arrived and has been installed temporarily. I say temporarily because my MX-2 tube was empty and I had to use some crap generic TIM, it will be reinstalled at a later date as I'll be trialing several TIMs (Tuniq TX-2, Arctic MX-2 and Noctua NH-1) when they arrive.

Straight up we see a difference in the TjMax between Core Temp/Everest and Real Temp, I've asked other owners for confirmation and I personally believe Real Temp is correct (TjMax of 95°C) but until I get confirmation it's just speculation. I base this speculation on the fact that my Q6600 at 3.0GHz idles in low to mid thirties so I very much doubt the Xeon at 3.0GHz stock with stock voltage is going to be 42°C as it was reported by Core Temp. One thing I have noticed though, from idle to full load is only 7-8°C difference :eek:

These things are being clocked over 4GHz with ease so we'll see how it goes.

Here's the first two screenies, all at stock, bios vcore is set to VID for starters.

Idle

e3110stockidlern0.jpg

Load

e3110stockloadwe5.jpg

Now on with the show, more posts to follow.

:D

You're making me jealous, I can't find one anywhere for a reasonable price. How much did you pay again?

EDIT: BTW, does the E8400/E3110 have a max 9.5 multiplier like the E8500?

It was $A299.00 ($A328.57 incl shipping and Tax)

Max multi is 9.0 iirc, I'll check for you next reboot, I'm just recording the bios settings in Excel before I start.

How well does the XEON Perform in games?
Theoretically they should be no different to an E8400

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;777746 said:
I am rather curious as to the difference between these versions. I saw they were in stock but didn't want to order one since I didn't know if they would overclock as well as the E8400/E8500. Very nice can't wait to see how well it performs.
For all intents and purposes they are the same as the E8400

84003110eu1.png

I've currently got it Priming away at 3.2GHz on stock voltage (1.11250) which I'm not going to run for eight hours just yet, I'm going to try for 3.4GHz at stock volts next, if that won't boot it's into the vcore and 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0GHz if I can.

EDIT: @ worshipme, max multi is indeed 9

EDIT 2: 3.6GHz at 1.2250v, 32°C idle 46°C load, memory as per sig, SuperPi 1M 12.828s.

EDIT 3: 4.0GHz is being extremely elusive, I have yet to get it to boot and the required vcore is outside the VID range for the processor which is giving me second thoughts because of the degradation that has been evidenced when overvolting these cpus. Temps are fine at 3.6GHz as above, I may just sit at that for now while I reseach some more, the E8500 has a VID range to 1.3625v whereas the E3110 only goes to 1.2250 which is what I'm running to get 3.6GHz so I'm kind of already on the top end of the voltage scale.

Double post :eek:

This is rock solid stable but the voltage (1.225v) is right at the top of the "allowable" range (see above), I see people booting with 1.4v to get 4.0GHz plus but as my cpu is only a week old I think I'll sit at 3.6GHz for now.

Yes, I know, the prime95 is only a few minutes, I forgot to take a screenie on the weekend of the 8+ hour run, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I had it up to 3.75GHz@1.25v momentarily, it booted fine but wasn't prime stable in the slightest.

e311036ghz1225vloadlx9.jpg

Interesting information. If I hadn't pulled the trigger on a new computer in January this would have been my choice of CPU.

I'll be following your progress very closely because I'm interested to see how much of an overclock you'll be able to achieve.

If I were you I'd sit tight until the Nehalem release unless you can get a 45nm for cheap. Nehalem will be a different socket to LGA775 (Socket T) so it will be the "next gen" tech.

What's your m/board again??

If I were you I'd sit tight until the Nehalem release unless you can get a 45nm for cheap. Nehalem will be a different socket to LGA775 (Socket T) so it will be the "next gen" tech.

What's your m/board again??

I've got an ASUS P5K-E.

Oh, I'll definitely be sitting tight. I'm gonna order the aftermarket heatsink/fan tomorrow and hopefully have a stable overclock at 3.2-3.4Ghz. I'm totally happy with the performance/overclock potential of the Q6600.

By the way, I think I'll be giving the Tuniq Tower a try. I also want to order a red 120mm fan for the Tower since my computer has a red hue inside, too. Or, I might just stick to its own supplied fan and buy a couple of LEDs to shine onto the Tower.

Back
Top Bottom