My Q6600 is deqd.

I gave her the kiss of life and she's alive again. And 1c cooler too.

Told ya so.

Also, that difference in sandpaper wont do anything, if you want to get a really cool chip, pry the heatspreader off :)

This may or may not work great with the Core 2's, but it works on every other processor.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the cooler was secured properly and it was simply turning itself off everytime. I hope it still overclocks fine. I reapplied AS5 and turned it on, and it ran fine, posting with it now. I don't think I'll risk taking my Q6600 apart though:D

Some website pulled the heatspreader off, it wouldn't post after that. It might work, and it might not. Glad it works though. You should lap the heatsink if you haven't.

I have lapped both. I did it a couple of weeks ago.

Got my new Microsoft Habu today as well.

I had the Habu, I returned it the same day. There isn't much for my pinkie to grip so I had trouble aiming. If it's comfy for you then that's awesome!

Told ya so.

Also, that difference in sandpaper wont do anything, if you want to get a really cool chip, pry the heatspreader off :)

This may or may not work great with the Core 2's, but it works on every other processor.

@ worshipme, how concave was the IHS? I started on mine with 800 grit, the corners were the high points. I'll post a pic if I've still got one hosted online.

EDIT: Must have deleted the pics last time I cleaned out.

underconstruction7ib.gif

I wouldn't try removing the IHS, I've seen reports of the core being ripped from the die due to the new thermal epoxy they use, it was OK to expose the core on the older AMD/Intel cpus but not something to be attempted with C2D or Dual core cpus

Good to see you got the Q6600 running again, panic attack over.

:D

@ worshipme, how concave was the IHS?
The corners were the high points like yours. It took me about an hour to get the IHS with 600 grit. I now see why it's important to be patient when lapping.

I'm so relieved I could get it going again.

I heard your sigh of relief when it fired up from way over here :D

You'll find you don't need as much TIM now, I use probably 2/3 of what I used to use.

You can now say you have passed "Lapping 101"

:D

Back
Top Bottom