Manual transmission question

abowlofrice

Daemon Poster
I just got my new Acura RSX type S.While practicing driving a stick, i stalled a few times. My question is, is it bad for the engine to stall? WIll the lifespan of the engine decrease if i stall a lot?

if you mean like just staying outta gear, why would that matter... no it doesnt, its just like if its being driven in a way except only at around 700 rpm and not on the transmisson, so naw it dosent matter at all =D

if you mean like just staying outta gear, why would that matter... no it doesnt, its just like if its being driven in a way except only at around 700 rpm and not on the transmisson, so naw it dosent matter at all =D

That has nothing to do with stalling. Stalling is when the engine shuts off because of a lack of power. Imagine letting go of the clutch in 1st gear. The car dies, or "stalls."

To answer your question, no, its not that bad for the car. It can affect the engine, clutch, and transmission as a whole, but nothing to worry about if it was only a few times.

To give you a little more help, try to feel the sweet spot at which the clutch actually engages and disengages the gear. Keep the car in 1st and slowly start letting go of the clutch (don't apply any gas.) Pay attention to where the pedal is when the RPMs start to drop a little bit; that's your sweet spot.

What you wanna do is give the car a little bit of throttle (press the gas pedal) and then slowly let go of the clutch pedal until you hit that "Sweet spot," and then KEEP it there until the car grabs.

I'm sure you know that already, but I've realized that a big majority of stick drivers don't understand that the clutch should be kept at the sweet spot until it engages. Most will literally let go of the clutch pedal and watch the car stutter and stall.

Cheers,

Chris

It will hurt the car if you stall it at an intersection or roundabout when cars are coming the other way though :)

I think you should learn with a manual drive car when you start to drive, and if you decide to go automatic so be it. Over here though, automatics aren't known at all.

Just go to a big empty parking lot and practice starting and stopping and changing gears, just pay attention and watch for light posts/other cars....etc...:)

Then go to an empty road with a hill and practice starting out on a hill. In my opinion, thats the hardest part about driving a stick. It sucks when you are sitting at a redlight on an uphill slope and you either stall the car and hold everybody up, or you drift backwards into the car behind you. It'll do you good to learn how to heel/toe the brake and gas.

Oh and to answer your question, if you aren't careful you can hurt the clutch or transmission. Burn the clutch out or break a gear or synchro in the tranny.

thx for all the help!

and btw Kage, I learned auto first, then got manual. In taiwan, you gotta know manual in able to get a driver's license =)

as long as it is not stopped really fast (like going from forward to reverse) the engine and transmission will not be damaged.

Good luck with the learning curve.

I think you should learn with a manual drive car when you start to drive, and if you decide to go automatic so be it. Over here though, automatics aren't known at all.

That's exactly how it is in Brazil. I came here and I learned automatic though. I really want to learn Manual Transmission, but we don't own a car with one. This summer, my parents are buying themselves a 3rd car, but it will be used by me. I'm going to try to convince them to get it with Manual Transmission over Automatic because:

1) I heard it's more fun to drive.
2) It has a faster response

Back
Top Bottom