We are going to die in May...

Interesting read.

Reminds me of the age old "Man destroys itself" routine.

I AM LEGEND, where they think they have the cure for cancer, and it destroys the world.

Final Fantasy 7, where the Shinra company thinks they can feed off the planet for energy endlessly and then screws them over.

And this, if we used this mighty new machine to power the entire planet. And then the universe disappears ^_^

Very goofy comparisons, but you get the point.

Wassup breh.

Ok, that article made me laugh. I'm sorry, but that idea is outrageous. Sure, it may be possible that the thing explode and rip a new hole in the universe, but the chances of that happening are so small, it wouldn't even affect us. Not to mention, in that article it mentioned somewhere that a black hole could evaporate before it caused any damage (thank you Stephen Hawking).

Now, I do know one thing: large particle accelerators could potentially make something called "dark matter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter) which can, theoretically, be used to modify time. It is said if you could measure dark matter with generic measurements (tablespoon, teaspoon, etc..) a tablespoon of it could destroy the world, but the same amount could also grant the ability to travel faster than the speed of light to a large space vehicle. I watched a documentary about it on the History Channel once. I don't remember the name, but if I find it, I will post a link.

EDIT- I just remembered, dark matter and dark energy is talked about in "The Universe" series on the History Channel.

Ok, that article made me laugh. I'm sorry, but that idea is outrageous. Sure, it may be possible that the thing explode and rip a new hole in the universe, but the chances of that happening are so small, it wouldn't even affect us. Not to mention, in that article it mentioned somewhere that a black hole could evaporate before it caused any damage (thank you Stephen Hawking).

Now, I do know one thing: large particle accelerators could potentially make something called "dark matter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter) which can, theoretically, be used to modify time. It is said if you could measure dark matter with generic measurements (tablespoon, teaspoon, etc..) a tablespoon of it could destroy the world, but the same amount could also grant the ability to travel faster than the speed of light to a large space vehicle. I watched a documentary about it on the History Channel once. I don't remember the name, but if I find it, I will post a link.

Nothing can travel faster than light...... last time I checked...

:rolleyes:

Wierd, but I dont think its going to happen... It's one of those goofy worrys I think. Like back in the day, we used to think our skin would peal off if we traveled over 40mph...

Hmmm, I guess that gives me a good reason to get sloshed for the next 4-6 weeks then:D

Good, then I don't have to take my AP exams. :D.
I'd really prefer graduating from high school before I die though.

And if this is true, now is as good a time as ever to splurge on a new rig.

Honestly though, I'm keeping my distance from the NYT, with all the Obama/Clinton crap that's going on over there.

Its interesting to say the least.
The fact it will cause something to happen not seen since the Big Bang will be something quite dangerous, and could result in something we don't know of.

Though it does say later on in the article, that he filed suits previously, to just have them denyed, and the machine he was against has been working since 2000 with no problems.

I can't imagine, Spiderman style, (though that was a sun), a black hole getting larger though, and being unable to stop, suddenly, in the middle of the room.

If one was created though, even a pin sized dot would be strong enough to suck all the people in that room into it, and it wouldn't be pretty.

EDIT:

"Scientists say that is very unlikely — though they have done some checking just to make sure."

I feel safe after reading that... :rolleyes:

Were are own worst enemy. This world is going to end at the hand of people experimenting with things like this. Sure they have a bunch of scientists speculating to what the end result may be. How on earth can they have any idea what will happen?

Typical though we invent the nuclear bomb which can destroy the world as we know it. Lets build some more stuff that could potentially destroy the universe. At some point they will succeed and whoever is still alive at the time will die.

Nothing can travel faster than light...... last time I checked...

:rolleyes:

Particles can travel faster than light through water... so I don't see why it would be foolish to say the same about a vacuum. You never know man.

Back
Top Bottom