My Roommate and I have a sick apartment plan next year... What do you think

Tommy Boy - thanks for the tips! Thats a really good idea - would I need specific hookups to the server for that?

DJ-CHRIS they're at home (i'm at college right now), but ill try to get some pics up over the summer - i'll have complete pictures of the whole apartment up by next september too, trust me they definitely exist, because I have my own 2TB External HD from newegg - internals are for servers though

The 2TB external drives have 2x 1TB drives or 4x 500GB drives. Try to find a link to buy a SINGLE 2TB drive, they do not exist.

Tommy Boy - thanks for the tips! Thats a really good idea - would I need specific hookups to the server for that?
Nope, just have both the server and the ps3 connected to the router either wired or wireless, then run windows media player 11 on the server, add all your files and folders and whatever to the wmp library then share it through wmp. It's pretty easy. You might run into problems with some of the file types though, as the ps3 doesn't support some file types. I don't know about the 360 though.

Chris - im really not sure what the specific specs of the server are... All i know is that I'm getting it for free so I'm not asking any questions - im sure it has 4GB of storage, and at least from what I remember each one is 2TB (i just remember this because when our comp lab guy was explaining, he said one of them was for all the storage, and the other was just a nightly backup of the 2TB of data... so it could be 2 pairs of joined 1 tbs?) Really don't know... But I will get back to it like i said when i post pics

And thanks tommy boy - that seems like a really hood idea! So WMP is good for management of all this stuff? We were thinking of trying linux on the server but im starting to think using all vista would be easiest

In terms of computer stuff, we've got a pretty cool plan (or so I think). We just finished building a "server" of sorts for our movie collection. It has completely wasted every cent I made over this year, but whatever it's kind of cool.

Chris - im really not sure what the specific specs of the server are... All i know is that I'm getting it for free so I'm not asking any questions -

Hmmmm I don't really understand

Can you post a pic of these 2TB hard drives. Afaik, hard drives max out at 1TB right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson.MacKenzie
In terms of computer stuff, we've got a pretty cool plan (or so I think). We just finished building a "server" of sorts for our movie collection. It has completely wasted every cent I made over this year, but whatever it's kind of cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson.MacKenzie
Chris - im really not sure what the specific specs of the server are... All i know is that I'm getting it for free so I'm not asking any questions -

Hmmmm I don't really understand

I think somebody is telling porky pies *wink wink*

Hmm.....yeah explain that. You said you wasted all the money you made building this server, but then later you said you are getting it for free and you don't know the specs, but you said it's going to have a 2tb hard drive?

You better not be telling fish stories here because I gave you some genuinely useful information.

Guys... I really don't know what the problem is here -

The server we basically got for free - my old high school rebuilds its servers every single year (the computer department has a HUGE budget). I spent a lot of my summer helping them deploy systems for free, and in return they just give me free old parts they dont need. This includes both of the 2TB hard drives, and all 4GB ram. The processor is something that will cost us though...

So i was saying that I'm getting the server basically for free, so I'm not questioning the TB hard drives in there. As I also said, I've already been looking at upgrades for it, including the processor.

As I already posted, we just finished building it and even without the processor it has cost a bunch of money (but it would have cost a LOT more money if we weren't getting the thing for free from school). So yes, I am grateful for getting the server parts for free, but I also am doing my own upgrades

Guys, I really don't get why I would lie about this - I posted it because I was excited about it and was looking for any suggestions for how to make the room cooler. So far only two posters have done this, the rest just seem to be trying to point out holes in what I've said. This is fine I guess... I just have no reason to make it up; it's not like I want to impress people, I just wanted to share it with you guys since (usually) you're helpful and interesting with all this.

Tommy_Boy- your information was extremely useful and I'm sure we're going to use it, so thank you.

Thanks for clearing it up. I guess it was just the way you posted it all that made it sound a little bit embellished.

I actually just reread through the stuff I wrote and I can see how it would be confusing, so sorry for getting all pissy with you guys - but I hope my last post cleared stuff up. But trust me, I wouldn't lie to CF :)

But continuing from my previous questions, Tommy_Boy: my friend just bought a component video cable for the Wii to the TV - so are you saying he should return that and we buy something that connects it to the computer (i'm pretty sure such things definitely exist)

Back
Top Bottom