Guides

worshipme

Golden Master
We have lots of people coming to this forum asking for help choosing components for a new build etc... I would be happy to write up a few guides for various price points ($500, $1000...) if everyone thinks this is a good idea. They would be updated regularly as prices change and new parts are released. It would make it a lot easier for people looking for some quick help.

Thats a good idea and actually rudster816 was actually doing that but now he's banned so it would be nice to see a new active member do it.

I was actually planning on writing a updated overclocking guide since the current one is a bit dated and mainly pertains to AMD. So rather than all the new Intel forumers looking through pages of that just make a new more detailed one.

If your going to do it though make sure you keep it updated every few weeks with the latest products.

I would suggest doing the following build structures.

$500-$749 basic budget build
$750-$999 budget gaming build
$1000-$1499 moderate gamer
$1500-$1999 higher end build
$2000 + High end product build

Then within the window you could suggest a few different cpu's or gpu's based on different scenario's to fit both the high and low of the various price spectrum's.

To be honest I would like to see David add a overclocking specific section in the main forum page. Since building and overclocking your own systems has really went mainstream IE major computer magazines publishing basic how to's I think this forum would really benefit from a detail oriented overclocking section.

I would be more than happy to write up some how to guides similar to my build you own guide and overclock database which could be moved to that section.

Also your build guide list would be very appropriate in a overclocking section with the theory of the builds based on the overclock ability and value of the selected parts within anyone's budget.

I look forward to your write up for recommended build guides.

I say we should lobby for a overclock section with a sub forum dedicated for memory, motherboards, gpu's and cpu's. I think it would take off better than are current processor section section since it would be found under overclocking section rather then the general hardware section.

How many people per day posts questions about motherboards and overclocking memory etc that would be much easier to find in a dedicated section rather than the current general computing. Sure there technically is a forum for pretty much everything but I think if it was laid out a little better this forum would take off.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll start writing them up tonight.

I definitely like your idea of having an overclocking subsection as well.

I think I will have the guides seperates into two sections, one for people who are going to be overclocking and one for people who won't be. As it will have a definite effect on the choice of parts.

EDIT: One question first though, do you think I should include an OS in the price?

Honestly thats a good question there. Maybe put a note on the builds that don't include the OS into the price and builds that do. I like to think most people have a OS that they can transfer over to a new build.

Yes that would be a good idea. A build guide for overclocking gamers then a build guide for productivity. IE worksation cards for productivity builds and Xeons vs Wolfdales and GTX's on gaming builds.

sounds great. Don't know if you really need to make them like $500-$749 etc. Just make for example $500, $800, $1000, $1200, $1600 builds so that the total price is for example the $1000 build would be between $970-$1000.

If we have for example $1000-$1499 build there are a lot of different options. And if you make only 1 build a guy who can't spend more than $1000 can't buy it and someone who wants to spend $1500 is left with about $300 in his hand. This can be solved by adding different options but in the end that brings us to the same place we started from, having about 10 different configurations and then they need help to choose the right one for them.

But overall it's definitely a good idea. And no, I don't think you need to include the OS in the price.

I think we have a mod or two that would be a sticky mod and all they do is keep the stickies in order, neat, and up to date. that would really be helpful if we had these.

and they should be like seperate HTML pages that are linked to in a stickey, but they match this theme.

We did have this at one point. I think they are still linked in one of the sticky threads....

I looked through it and couldn't find anything. Perhaps you could add mine to the reference thread. I have started it and will be adding to it over the next few days.

Ok, lets do this, make the thread, with all the specs in one post, I'll keep merging the threads so there is only one stickied thread, yet you'll get all your credit and post count while keeping things clean.

Back
Top Bottom