Google turns the lights out... So should we

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
With reference to the aptly named 'Earth Hour' Google have turned their lights out and are asking us to do the same, in an attempt to show that we can all do quite well without lights and in the long term reduce energy consumption. Tonight (29th March) people in the UK will be asked to turn their lights off at 8PM. I have signed up to do so and so have many big companies/organisations. Why don't you???

In reference to Google's new black theme, i think its quite sexy, any chance they'd keep it, or make it an optional so it can be achieved without Shift+Alt+Print-Screen.
Maybe....

_ _ _ _
From Tom
- - - - -

PS. Sign up for Earth Hour at www.earthhour.org, at the moment the site is a tad laggy, i should imagine because all the geeks like me still on their PCs at midnight coming back to Google every 20 mins have just noticed it and are searching frantically, and posting on their own forums, thought id do the same.

_

Interesting :p

I can't see it happening on streets, etc mind you, since if that happens, with cars... we'll be seeing a lot more lights going out than they intend, haha

Well all try and do our bit with things like this and then the EU tells us we must drive our cars with our headlights on full in the middle of summer so we can 'see better'. That makes no sense to me at all

I was going to ask David if he could possibly implement a black theme as well, but i think it might be too late in the day to do that. No worries. The EU's policy on headlights is ridiculous, how much energy is wasted by driving about full blaze, its ludicrous. I reckon turning off street lights could lead to alot of crime, Muggings ETC. But their are solution to save money the government could put in place, like switching the street lamps to more efficient florescent bulbs, This would lower the amount of energy used to power them and help the environment out.

But unfortunately many EU countries are having to put up with the massive amounts of wasted energy coming from America and China. Both the countries energy output extends far beyond reason. China is in the middle of a revolution (in essence) and so it is slightly more understandable (although not entirely acceptable), but the USA appears plain ignorant.

You don't NEED an 'SUV' if you live in the suburbs.
You don't NEED a 4x4 to do the shopping or pick the kids up from school.
and You don't NEED a car to make a trip of a mile to get to work, thats what public transport is for, or walk/cycle.

But when was the last time American government listened to reason? Think Afaghanistan, Think Iraq, and now think climate change. America isn't that bad, alot of good has come form America in technology and culture, but the government make Americans seem a tad daft. Mr.Bush should take some charge and help his countries reputation out a little. But I'd wager that is very unlikely, USA are busy thinking they own the world and trying to help everyone one out by blowing stuff up. Why does the rest of the world base most every decision on a country with so little heritage and so little sense.

I could rant on all day , but i dont see the point. I doubt the white house would listen. I understand that this post might make me unfavourable by the American users of the forum, but i am simply expressing my beliefs and you are free to agree or disagree, this is just my opinion.

I'm in.

And I agree about the whole SUV in the suburbs thing. their milage is horrible and you should only get one if you actually drive on something other than a paved road on a regular basis.

Well all try and do our bit with things like this and then the EU tells us we must drive our cars with our headlights on full in the middle of summer so we can 'see better'. That makes no sense to me at all

The alternator in cars is constantly going, so having your headlights on full does not affect how much gas you use.

And yes, it's A LOT easier to see an incoming car if they have their headlights on.

Back
Top Bottom