Car Thread!

LOL gotta hand it to those ricers.

It takes a special person to pull off twin fart cannons, a wing that rivals a 747, and a sideways license plate.

Also the S/C is iffy since I don't really have the option to add a diff either, which means I would burn the inside tire on all my corner exits. It's tough tuning an auto for auto-x, unless I go N/A, but that costs more than a decent S/C setup and I put out a peaky 160-170whp versus a strong 190... :(

I have a question, what is the difference between a turbo and a Supercharger? I'm assuming a turbo is better, but I really dont know which is better. I thought they were both just forced induction that basically did the same thing.
I wanted to S/C my truck possibly, but I think I will wait til After college...

With a lower powered engine, a turbo is better as a supercharger actually requires power from the engine to run. A turbo injects air from the exhaust and injects it into the cylinder. A supercharger injects air into the cylinder in the same way, except it is powered manually by the engine, it can provide a bigger performance boost than a turbo but asks for something in return. SCs also do not suffer from lag. That's the theory I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

Superchargers don't suffer from lag because they're powered by the crankshaft. So the response is a lot like an NA engine. Turbochargers suffer from lag because it takes time for the compressor to build up enough speed to get the boost going. Thats why on a lot of cars with a big turbo, like the Mitsubish Lancer Evolution MR, the boost doesn't kick in until about 3,000 RPM.

There is a way to somewhat combat turbo lag though. Sequential turbochargers. :) Instead of one big turbocharger with a long lag time, you have two small turbochargers that kick in faster. However, with sequential, one turbocharger kicks in at a lower speed and once you hit a threshold, the secondary turbo kicks in. The boost isn't as noticable as say a parallel twin-turbo setup, but the lag is hardly noticeable and the boost is a lot smoother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

Superchargers don't suffer from lag because they're powered by the crankshaft. So the response is a lot like an NA engine. Turbochargers suffer from lag because it takes time for the compressor to build up enough speed to get the boost going. Thats why on a lot of cars with a big turbo, like the Mitsubish Lancer Evolution MR, the boost doesn't kick in until about 3,000 RPM.

There is a way to somewhat combat turbo lag though. Sequential turbochargers. :) Instead of one big turbocharger with a long lag time, you have two small turbochargers that kick in faster. However, with sequential, one turbocharger kicks in at a lower speed and once you hit a threshold, the secondary turbo kicks in. The boost isn't as noticable as say a parallel twin-turbo setup, but the lag is hardly noticeable and the boost is a lot smoother.

but you cant deny that the exhilarating feeling you get when the turbo on a normal setup finally kicks in!

but you cant deny that the exhilarating feeling you get when the turbo on a normal setup finally kicks in!

Haha, I never said it was bad. It depends on what kind of motorsport you're into. If you need a responsive and smooth boost, sequential turbos or a supercharger is the way to go. If you want something explosive and kicks in hard, your best bet is a single big fat turbocharger.

Haha, yeah the RX-8 is a prime candidate for FI.

Actually, my BMW is a pretty good candidate for FI as well. Since it's the older 3 series, my engine doesn't have the VANOS variable valve timing system that came after 1992. Basically it means I have less crap to break due to the increased pressure from the turbo or supercharger.

The only downside is that turbos cost A LOT. I mean A LOT. A stage II turbo kit for the E36 costs around $10,000. It's about $4,000 for a supercharger though...

I wouldnt consider Nitrous rice, but oh well. I would get S/C if your into auto-X since it gives more low-end power thru the band.

Ill give an example of JDM vs Rice

JDM

IMG_5500.jpg

Rice

ricer_civic_2.jpg

Does anyone smell rice?

I dunno. I've eaten rice for most of my life and rice doesn't really have a smell.

I do see rice though. It's quite sad. Theres this one junior at my school...short, kinda skinny and dresses like a gangster. He drives one of the 7th generation Civics. Yeah...has a flaming retarded body kit all over, probably lowered it and got these actually decent looking rims. Then he totally killed it by mounting two grapefruit launchers for his exhaust.

The funniest thing is that his car is automatic. :p One day I'm gonna find him and hand him a bag of rice and a small Estes model rocket.

"Hey, I saw you leave yesterday. This came out of your muffler."

Back
Top Bottom