Why cant students find Computer Related jobs... I need one!

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone, I'm currently an undergrad student at Northeastern University in the College of Computer & Information Science. I've been looking for a while now for a summer internship or SOME sort of entry level job...

I don't have my degree yet (obviously), but my current GPA is 3.98 and i've worked really hard for it, and it's frustrating that without official educational experience on paper, I can't find a freaking job.

I'm mainly interested in IT/helpdesk stuff, preferably with a non-technological company (mostly because I deal better with regular people than other tech-savvy people).

I have experience with small business deploying entire computer systems, workstations, networks, servers, etc. I have experience with all windows OSs, mac tiger/leopard, linux (over 5 distros), programming experience is Java, Visual Basic .NET, mySQL, and Scheme.

I would say I'm really good at working with people too (i dont get impatient or frustrated ever), and i will work until the problem is solved.

So... how do i get a job?

thanks guys

I got a job by applying to a small company, it was a tech company, and they were very small,

it's easier to start with small companies and they'll tend to give you a little more help and stuff if you need it.

if you apply for a bigger company you'll tend to get lost amongst the hoards of other people applying,

you're stuck in that cycle of you need a job to get experiance, you need experiance to get a job at the minute.

you could also try to apply for some graduate schemes perhaps.
or apply at a local computer shop.

I know it doesn't make sense but I think they have a reason behind it.

They probably feel if they higher you before you actually get the degree you may end up quiting school since you found a job in the field your studying.

My suggestion would be to look for available internship programs. You will probably get limited hours, no benifits etc but at least its a step in the right direction.

I think mattie is right. At any rate they may want proof that you know what your doing too like A+ or something.

Mattie mentioned Internships, but also look at your college for on-campus support jobs. The one I'm heading off to has students employed in their service center and their server mantinance/monitoring jobs.

the airforce
i no sounds crazy
but they have an entire cyber defense program
im going to be enlisting in that

the airforce
i no sounds crazy

Yeah, but it sounds like he's just looking for a part-time job, not a four-year commitment.

the airforce
i no sounds crazy

Not to rain on your parade or anything but going into any service branch doesn't mean dick in the civilian (real world).

My buddy just got out of the Marine Corp after almost 5 years with 2 tours overseas. He had received training in networking and did it everyday for almost 5 years. Every job he applied for in his field after he got out wanted a college degree and put no weight on his experience in the military what so ever.

Beyond him at my previous job I know several other people that complained about the same thing. The military is great if you plan to serve out your full term or use your 4 years active time to use there college funding.

Its great as long as you decide to do it the rest of your life. But your work experience in the military has no effect on the civilian job market.

Many people have this misconception. How many ads do you see talking about how they do these amazing things with there jobs. All there jobs are still in the military. You don't see ads with people going to the military then showing there resulting jobs. Because generally there resulting jobs after the service suck.

Why else do you think they offer so much money for going to school when you join?

well usually when you sign up for the military they pay for collage....

well usually when you sign up for the military they pay for collage....

Thats why I wrote this into my original post.

the military is great if you plan to serve out your full term or use your 4 years active time to use there college funding.

I just wanted to let you know to actually use the college funding because simply going to the military alone isn't going to result in a decent job. There college funding is great though and that would help you get a great education.

Back
Top Bottom