Pulling the trigger on a new HS/Fan

Okay sweet, but I'm a little confused here. Will I need to reapply thermal grease? Or is it just the heatspreader base cleaning I need to do?

Let me resurrect this thread :)

I've decided to go ahead and order the new heatsink tomorrow after I get home from class. I've also decided that I'm going for one of the big boys; either a Tuniq or a TRUE or something similar in power and cooling capability. I don't mind the installation and it should be a good weekend thing to do before going out next Friday.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra 12 Extreme) along with a Scythe 1600rpm fan that I saw, BUT I read somewhere that the heatsink will push up against my door in the case (I've got a NZXT Lexa Blackline case.)

Two worries:

1. I don't want my heatsink to be pushing against the door at all -_-. I think the reason this happens is because of the fan mounted on the side window of our cases.

2. Jesus christ, is the true THAT big? I love the way my case looks inside....I can't fathom having a huge chunk of metal literally resting up against the window. Is there something with similar power and cooling that might be a *tad* smaller or something? I'm gonna do some more research before pulling the trigger.

I'd consider a Zalman 9700 but my case a subtle red hue with LEDs inside. If I remember correctly the Zalmans are all blue LEDs, and the TRUE/Tuniq might outperform them anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

I had to remove the fan from the side of my case, it is not really necessary any longer anyway with the TRUE. My case (TT Sonata) is a standard ATX case and I have about 12mm (½") clearance to the side window. I just left the mesh grill to cover the hole.

I did mount the fan on the outside of the window for a trial but it looked ugly and I couldn't see the sense in having the fan there as it is only feeding straight onto the top of the TRUE so probably not doing anything anyway.

If you do "want/ need/ have to have" a fan there Zalman makes a low profile fan for one of their VGA coolers that might fit in there.

EDIT:

Well it appears they may not make it any more as a product search of their site returns no result, Amazon has some listed and Google returns quite a few results too.

Zalman USA ZMOP1 80MM Slim Fan with Fan Grill at Amazon

Google results

Back
Top Bottom