Intel Pentium 4 HT & ATI Radeon HD 3870

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I know that this isnt the perfect combination and that this Pentium will limit the card's power, but this only temporary. My question is, does the Radeon HD 3870 work with a Pentium 4 HT 3.7 ghz (which I will try to further overclock once I get some faster ram). I just need to know if they will be compatible with one another and if it will hold out until I can afford a new CPU. Thanks.

they will be compatible but as you pointed out it will bottlekneck an extreme amount.

well even with this decrease, will it be better than my current GeForce 7300GT?

It should be. 7300's aren't anything amazing I don't think. How much are you looking to spend on a graphics card? 9600GT's are out and you can get them for $190.

I found a HD 3870 for £120, I was looking at a 9600GT, but I would prefer to go for the HD 3870 even if it is a little bit worse. I plan to upgrade to a Wolfdale later on too.

I found a HD 3870 for £120, I was looking at a 9600GT, but I would prefer to go for the HD 3870 even if it is a little bit worse. I plan to upgrade to a Wolfdale later on too.
That's a great price, don't miss it. And the HD 3870 is actually a bit more powerful than the 9600GT. I recommend you wait a bit for the Wolfdale prices to settle though.

It's not too big of a difference. At that point I would go with whatever is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom