New video card / Old processor

Yes, but there's not point in getting the 8600GTS because it's made obsolete by the 9600GT and the HD 3850, and if he got one of those cards, the rest of his system wouldn't be able to keep up. So a cheaper card like the 8600GT for ~$85 is his best bet.

yep, i agree with him the gt is a cheap and good card for your setup or if you have another socket type that supports a dual chip, (IDK what it is) you could update the cpu and your gfx card i be well up to date with todays standards and above that.

It could end up getting expensive though, he'd need a new mobo as well and new RAM if he has DDR.

2gb is good the mobo should be alright, idk what his slot type is but if its upradable to dual it will only cost him about 100 more.

He may have DDR RAM though, all new motherboards use DDR2 or DDR3. I wouldn't upgrade to a D though even if it was an option, I think he's better off going with an AMD platform.

let him decide that, the mobo i think is fine it just looks like the 2 upgrades would do him some rerl good.

Thank you all for your help i think i will go with the safe pick of the 8600GT and may upgrade my processor later when i get the money and if i need to once again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom