New video card / Old processor

Prodigy93

Baseband Member
Hello I recently considered buying a new video card for my computer. My computer now is 2 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, 3.4 Ghz Intel Celeron processor, Nvidia GeForce XFX 5200 GT video card.

I am looking at buying the GeForce 8600 GT, and wondering if everything will be fine with my computer and the processor etc and I will be able to run everything smoothly.

With the upcoming games and operating systems should I be looking to buy a more powerful video card and if so which one ?

Thank you for your time.

your cpu will suffice i think, but i think it might be time to get a core 2, if it were a pentium at least, but a celeron? new cpu time buddy. the 8600gt is a decent mid range card, if you arent a big gamer than that will do.

...but a celeron wont go well with anything upcoming sorry.

If you're getting an 8600GT, make sure it uses GDDR3 memory, and not GDDR2 as it will have noticable performance affect.

If you can afford it, I would get a 8600GTS. Over that, the new 9600GT comes in for 189.99, but at that point it would be worth it to upgrade your CPU. This all depends on your budget though.

I think as he has a single core CPU, an 8600GT/ HD 3650 should be the most expensive GPU upgrade he should be looking at. With the 8600GTS, you are close to 3850/3870 and 9600GT territory which are much better performers.

the video card is definatly in need of an upgrade a 8600 will suffice but as long as you don't plan on playing crysis or something you should be ok.

The 8600GTS is an obsolete GPU now that the HD 3800 series and the 9600GT are out. I recommend an 8600GT GDDR3 or the HD 3650 GDDR3 card for your system.

but he has ddr2 and a sort of outdated cpu, its a single..
so a gts is more powerful than a gt, i think you have it backwards

he will need to get a gt and the gts is the more modern of he two.

Back
Top Bottom