e8400 vs. q6600

quad cores are good for gaming aswell...unless you are a porfessional gamer and want everything at its peak then thats a different case

10-4: I have a Q6700 running @ 3.15 ghz on stock voltages with dual (and very inexpensive) 8800GTS 320's in Sli running at 600/900. My Cpu never gets above 35 degress and the 3DMark06 is 16k+. OEM Q6700 are running $320-350 OEM new on Ebay. But the future in Dual Cores is the E8400 and the new Quads in 45. I'm new here from Tech Forums.

The Xeon E3110 is, for all intents and purposes, the same cpu as the E8400, I got tired of waiting for E8400 stock to arrive so I ordered an E3110 last night

E8400 spec at Intel

E3110 spec at Intel

84003110eu1.png

:)

There is one small difference between the Xeons and the C2Ds/C2Qs. They are like you said, the same CPU, but before they are shipped. The L2 cache is optimized for the different uses. This may just be the case with the other Xeons though. As I googled it and it seems the E8400 and E3110 are exactly the same.

They are said to be the "cherry picked" cpu's and results so far suggest that they clock well, the vcore range is a little higher at base and lower at the top but by all accounts it appears they are more robust than the E8xxx as they are for server applications.

Here's a run result from a different forum I frequent

There is one small difference between the Xeons and the C2Ds/C2Qs. They are like you said, the same CPU, but before they are shipped. The L2 cache is optimized for the different uses. This may just be the case with the other Xeons though. As I googled it and it seems the E8400 and E3110 are exactly the same.

No, there is a huge difference. The Xenon is a server based cpu LGA771 and the mobo's for thoae a really expensive plus you will need to buy registered ram for those as well unless server board configurations now use strandard DDR2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131152 Yep, registered ram which is really expensive and slower!!! These systems would not be good for gaming IMO.

No, there is a huge difference. The Xenon is a server based cpu LGA771 and the mobo's for thoae a really expensive plus you will need to buy registered ram for those as well unless server board configurations now use strandard DDR2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131152 Yep, registered ram which is really expensive and slower!!! These systems would not be good for gaming IMO.
The Xenon (Xbox 360 cpu) may well be 771 but the cpu we're talking about, the Xeon 3110, are LGA775 as shown in the specs I posted earlier. Did you happen to look at the screenie I posted? See the board model? Asus P5E, that's not a server board and my Xeon will be running in a P5E3.

I think you may be getting the two confused.

The E3110 is the same as the E8400. It is Skt775, and uses DDR2/DDR3 not FB DIMMS.
QFT

The Xenon (Xbox 360 cpu) may well be 771 but the cpu we're talking about, the Xeon 3110, are LGA775 as shown in the specs I posted earlier. Did you happen to look at the screenie I posted? See the board model? Asus P5E, that's not a server board and my Xeon will be running in a P5E3.

I think you may be getting the two confused.

QFT

Yes. Thanks for the education.

That's what I always thought, I always thought the cache was optimized for different activities. But apparently not.

Back
Top Bottom